1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trachycarpus Fortunei

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by poohpouri, Feb 21, 2009.

1. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi went out to the Garden centre this morning as the sun was out,The Gc was having a sale 50% of all plants and shrubs I got this palm(Trachycarpus Fortunei) as had read they are hardy.The plant i got was 2.5ft high and only cost £5.99:thmb:
    Am well chuffed as this is the first plant i have brought for our neww garden,cant wait for the summer:yho:

2. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there - I am glad you are happy with your buy. Watch out for severe frosts though.

Dont know where you are, but we have them for sale at our nearby garden centre for the same price.... not in a sale!

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,394
    Good buy, they are hardy anywhere in the UK but sometimes suffer damage from wind and chlorosis turning the leaves yellow.
    They do take a while to become established but if planted in the ground and not disturbed you sholud have a very long lived palm.:)

4. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi planning to plant in ground as found with my cordyline they do so much better

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,040
    Its a lovely plant and a good choice. Here's my Chusan Palm in the bad snow we had a couple of weeks ago, it went to down to minus 12, since then its recovered no problem - they are very hardy - just liable to get a bit tatty if you've got a windy garden.

[​IMG]

6. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi what is chlorosis:scratch: and how do you avoid it:scratch:prevent it?

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,394
    Yellowing of the leaves, this is common in Trachycarpus and is normally caused by nutrient defficiency although bad drainage, a high pH level or damaged compacted roots can aid chlorosis. Nitrogen and Manganese are the best nutrients too help keep the leaves green although I am not sure whether Trachycarpus will respond to feeding as I have never tried it, someone else here may be able to advise you.:)

8. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi is it okay to plant this out nowit is in a pot outside in the garden,if so what is he best way ,
    eg what soil/compost to use and what food etc
    Thanks
    Amo

9. Tracey in Essex

Tracey in Essex Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I literally stuck my first one in a wide hole; large enough to accomodate rootball, watered it and left it at that. Only 'feeding' it's ever had is due to the annual 'chucking' on and enriching of beds with home-made compost. Did water it until established but that's all. Beautiful, structurally, and tough as old boots. Ratty and ragged leaf/frond edges add to it's character.
    I have two now - one planted in garden as above, one in largish pot. One in garden has some fairly evil thorn-like projections along frond 'stems' - gloves and sleeves essential if going near it!

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,616
    Tracey, could the one in the ground perhaps be a chamaerops of some kind, trachys tend not to have thorns along the leaf stalks.:)

11. Tracey in Essex

Tracey in Essex Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Oh my, I joined here nearly a year ago, posted a few things and then.... stopped. How rude. Anyway, thanks Pete, you may well be right about 'Spike', it was a pressie in an unlabelled pot that simply outgrew it's pot. It's done very well again this year, the cold snaps, snow and ice don't make a dent in it.
    The smaller one in pot however... composting along with other stuff.

12. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Just a quick update my Trachycarpus Fortunei has survied the cold weather so far all leave still intact and green

13. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  14. palms

palms Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not for me to point people away from this excellent forum, but the Palm Centre in Kew will offer advice on any palms and cycads.

I have no connection with them but they've advised me well over the years, always with a smile (or smley!)

Martin