1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trachycarpus - To tease or not to tease?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bayleaf, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, have just acquired a Trachycharpus fortuneii (over 1m tall) - can anyone advise if the root ball should be teased out at planting time? - have had conflicting info on this, & can't find anything specific on the web/in books. The last one I planted was considerably smaller & the roots did get a tease & is doing fine. The spot & soil etc where it is going is ideal. Just don't want to be tickling the root ball if it doesn't like it! :eek: Look forward to some advice (please!)
    [​IMG]

[ April 14, 2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have one slightly smaller than that and I repotted without teasing to be safe, as I know some don't like root disturbance

It amazes me that some places still get it mixed up with Chamaerops when the thorny stems are a dead giveaway

3. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I think it depends how pot bound it is. Any plant that's very pot bound risks it's roots running round and round in circles if it's not teased even if it doesn't like root disturbance. If it has a good root system it should be ok, but it really is a matter of personal choice I always tease. My soil isn,t ussually as good as the compost the plants are in so they need a bit of bullying to get out there.(It's for their own good you know.)

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the tips, it is very pot bound but I will tickle its bottom, I think ;)
    Steve, recogised synonym for Trachcarpus Fortunei is Chamaerops exelsa known as Chusan or Windmill Palm, as opposed to Chamaerops humilis known as Fan Palm. Soz, am bit of a plant name anorak!

5. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    True, but humilis has the thorny stems trachy doesn't

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Trachy now planted - had to cut the pot off it! Fed, watered & sworn at (Mr T reckons it makes 'em grow!), lovely & sunny when it landed in its spot - 2 hours later - chucking it down! Tickled some of the finer roots, left fleshy ones alone. Hope the little blighter grows!