1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trailing Begonia Apricot Shades-how many for 12" hangin basquet?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by miriam, Apr 30, 2011.

1. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many begonias should I plant to get a display like the picture Iam attaching?
    How do I get the flowers to look like a "ball"?
    I found this video in youtube what do u think?
    Also do they grwo in shady areas or prefer full sun?

YouTube - Perfect Hanging Baskets

Miriam

Attached Files:

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Hello Miriam
    Excellent choice of trailing begonia ! Three new plants should comfortably fill a 12" basket . ( I will use 4 new plants in a 14" basket ) Just fill your basket with multi purpose compost and a slow release fertiliser , and keep it lightly watered . Turn your basket every couple of weeks to keep the growth even . I grow most of mine in shady areas . They will form by themselves to look like your picture and flower through to late October . You can then save the tubers for next year :thumbsup:

3. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you Harry, i have a 14" i made a mistake, would 4 plants be enough to achieve that look?there seems to be tons of flowers there

4. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    You do get a lot of flowers from a trailing begonia ! Try 5 in your 14" basket , you will get a very good display from them. When you save the tubers every year they get bigger , so you need less in each basket. The display also improves . I have a white begonia which will go in a basket by itself and trail to nearly 3 feet . It only gets the sun until about 11 in the morning.
    Don't position the Begonias to close to the edge of the basket , to give them room to arch. Also as they begin to arch I cut up a cheap sponge to place between the stems and the basket , this prevents chaffing of the stems. And that's about it they are a pretty maintenance free plant - good luck !:thumbsup:

PS don't plant them any deeper than the pot you buy them in , the tuber needs to be very close to the surface .

5. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks harry

I have ordered 60 begonias from a nursery they should be arriving soon, they are small plants i will transfer them and put them in the greenhouse for a couple of weeks before i plant them out do you think this is ok?i bought geraniums the same way some i put inside the house and the others out the ones inside the house grown nicely the ones out are still as short not sure why..
    Also I have noticed that there are trailing begonias that you grow with seed and some with tubers, i bought mine from unwins

Buy Trailing Begonias Plants | Trailing Begonia Apricot Shades

since they are so cheap I am assumming they were grown from seeds, is there any difference?

I havent receive them yet

M.

6. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry I meant, some begonias are grown with bulbs and some with seeds

7. HarryS

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/general-gardening-discussion/32965-begonia-plugs.html

Hi Miriam , the GC link above shows very well how to bring on begonia plugs.
    Begonias do grow very slowly at first , dont worry they do speed up as they establish. I would pot them into 9cm pots or multi cells for at least 4 weeks in the greenhouse . Protect them from full sun.
    Now have they been grown from seed or leaf cuttings , I dont know :what: Do begonias always form tubers , I dont know again :D It may be an idea to leave a dozen in the greenhouse potted up into 5" pots all summer , this may help the tubers to form. Maybe one of the GC begonia gurus can help us on the questions above :dunno:

8. miriam

miriam Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Harry

many thanks for your reply, i wasnt sure how many weeks i should leave it in the greenhouse but 4 weeks sounds good, in the past I only kept the geraniums inside for 1 week maybe it needed to be inside for longer and that is why they didnt grow as much,
    M.