Trailing fuchsias.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarraceniac, May 8, 2008.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I got it right for once. Went to 'Strawberry Fields' car boot today in Bridlington and a respectable, seen him before, guy was selling, just described as 'Giant Fuchsias'. (At least he could spell it). 2 for £1., but with labels,

I love fuchsias but know nothing about them but I thought, for £1 hang the expense. So I bought a very healthy looking 'Blue Veil' and 'Deep Purple', came home and shoved them in a large pot. I then Googled them and found that they belong in a basket or a large pot. Boy I'm good.:D

I also found nurseries selling them at up to £7 each. So I'm even better.:D:D

Thing is. Never grown fuchsias before. Any advice on feeding. And what do I do next winter? Don't want to waste £1.

Advice please. No rush. I'll keep them going over summer.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,274
    Hi John In September I usually reduce the watering that lets the older wood Mature by the end of September They should be dry,then I put mine in the Greenhouse until the Spring when the New shoots appear from the Base only then do I remove the old wood,then I re-pot or re containerise them(I use John Innes No.2) 6 weeks after that I give them a feed of a High Nitrogen and when the first Buds appear i then give them a feed of a High Potash Hope this as been of some help. :)

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi John. I don`t know what size your plants are, but I think it`s very important to `pinch` out at least twice from the initial growth. First there is the central growth - pinch at three or four sets of leaves , then there is the secondary growth (the resulting side-shoots) which should be pinched at the third set of leaves. As for care, they`re pretty straight-forward I think. Water and feed, that`s pretty much it. I believe some folks use special feeds for flowering (like maybe tomorite), but I`m no expert, although I always had a good show. For overwintering, all I ever did was cut off most of the tops leaving maybe 4 - 6 inches and store them in the greenhouse in peat or something similar. Cheers...freddy.

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    John, I Produced a Lovely Standard Fuchia a couple of year ago, had great fun doing it..:)

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Parkers free fuchsia I recieved mine unnamed Tue of this week along with free begonias and only thing I purchased was ablackberry bush.
    Begonia cortms were ok it was th efree fuchsais qulity was no tvery good an dblackberry bush too and package bad.

Really has put me off although my son sent for the free fuchsias and they came good package but all named .

6. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hmm...nice to see that the `nonsense` has been deleted. Well done mods !

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes. Thank you Admins/Mods. I thought it best to retire whilst it was sorted. I know who it is and why but cannot speak for ethical reasons. Thanks to the people who PM'd me. And by the way, I didn't lodge a complaint with the mods. Again for ethical reasons.

8. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i recieved my free fuchsias today,werent very good either,bottom part on two of them were rotting away, pity

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There is no such thing as a free fuchsia Cymro. You have to pay 50p each for them.:D Wish I'd risked £2.:thumb:

10. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    didnt pay a penny for my free fuchsias
    go on jd parkers website and order a catalogue ,
    enter promo code fr88, and you get 3 free fuchsia plants

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh dear.:eek::rolleyes:

12. MotherGoose

MotherGoose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my free fuchsias yesterday too (Monday), they also weren't in good shape, probably not helped by their weekend stay with the Royal Mail and being forced through the letterbox by the postie.

I am hopeful they'll pick up, and if not, well, they cost me nowt :D

13. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I complained twice by email and not reply MG and go ta letter today inwritign sayign this is normal and once when in grownd shoull perk up.

I for one was not impressed even if they were free fuchsias but I bought a blackberry bush and quality of it was not too good either.

14. MotherGoose

MotherGoose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I also got 9 free fuchsias, well it cost me about £3.50 p&p, from a magazine. I did a silly thing though, in my haste to get them out of the packaging I didn't realise there was a sticker underneath the packaging with their names on in relation to their position in the pack, I now have 9 fuchsias, but I've no idea which ones which :p

15. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Mother Goose. If you wait for them to flower and then post pictures, I am sure they will be identified.