Training a plant up a fence or trellis

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Karen1986, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I’m maybe over-thinking this but needing some advice on how to train (1) honeysuckle up a freestanding trellis and (2) potted ivy up a fence.

With regards to the ivy, so far I’ve just been using bits of plastic gardening string material to attach the longer stems to the fence panels and try and keep moving them upwards. I’ve not been putting long bits of string across the length of the plant or fence, as mentioned above, just selecting longer stems to pin upright. Does this sound right? The leaves turned brown at the start of spring and I thought the ivy was dead but it seems to have a new lease of life and I wonder if it’s because it’s now pinned back rather than crumpling in on itself.

With regards to the honeysuckle, this was only planted in spring and is still small (about 1.5 foot tall) albeit has produced several new stems. This is planted in the ground next to trellis (which is stuck in the ground, not against a wall). I’m not sure if I should be trying to pull the stems towards the trellis with string yet? I was planning on letting the stems grow long enough to loop through the trellis holes but again don’t know what’s best! They will get more morning sun if I leave them alone for now. I’m a bit concerned as the leaves are brittle and white in places so have bought some antifungal treatment.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Karen

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Would say tie the stems of both in as soon as they are long enough to be guided onto the trellis.

You can loop the stems through the trellis but if its a small mesh type you run the risk of snapping the tender stems.

Generally find Honeysuckles take a good few months to settle in, then they will send really long shoots up.

Would alway suggest you keep Ivy away from any stone or brickwork that you value as once its aerial roots attach to it, you will have them on there for years , even after you have removed the stems.

As both climbers take a couple of years to really cover a fence or trellis panel, you might want to use some Sweet Pea, Nastrutiums or similar to give the area some summer colour, still time to grow from seed.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        Hi Karen, I use Honeysuckle, Clematis and Roses to clamber up the trellis sides of my Arbour and just tie them in with soft twine as they become lengthy but still pliable to pull against the trellis

upload_2020-7-13_22-37-24.png

This is the Trellis entrance to the garden and I've used Honeysuckle and Clematis to clothe both sides, which are Trellis. The Clematis gets cut down annually enmasse but still grow to the density that you can see. I just tie both the Honeysuckle and Clematis back as they get lengthy:dunno:
        [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would for the moment just tie the stems of the Honeysuckle back for the moment until the plants are established and then let gently introduce the soft whippy tops around the trellis. You will find that the Honeysuckle will not need much encourage to wrap itself around the Trellis
        To be honest I think you would regret using Ivy to clothe the Trellis as once it gets away it can cause you some problems..........how about trying a Clematis or two??

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
          +491
          I'm with Armandii on ivy. For me it's like nettles or brambles - fine in the wild, but a problem if you bring it into your garden.

If you want something evergreen to run up a trellis, star jasmine is a good call. All the benefits of ivy, with added flowers and scent in summer. In theory it could suffer in a really cold winter, but unless you're way up north then you're probably fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
            Ratings:
            +915
            Leave it for a season and this is what happens to those who forget to weed as you go.
            Nettles in the border and Ivy up the fence and in the tree.:rage:

20200624_154429.jpg

• Like Like x 1
            • Karen1986

Karen1986 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +5
              Thank you all for your replies (I’ve just noticed some now!). I hope my honeysuckle grows as well as yours, very nice pictures! I like clematis but chose honeysuckle as it doesn’t get much light, especially at the roots. It’s not looking too good so fingers crossed it keeps growing!

• Friendly Friendly x 1