1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Transplant shock or dead?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Adam2707, May 20, 2016.

1. Adam2707

Adam2707 Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    I recently bought a silver birch tree (Betula Utillis Jacquemontii) for my garden. It was a reasonably established one as I had just bought a new build house I wanted instant screening and a feature in the garden. It was advertised as 12-14cm girth and about 3m to 3.5m high and came in a 90L container. It arrived mid April after a few delays and had already had started blooming with a few dozen early leaves.

I went to plant it a few days later when it became apparent that it hadn't been in its container for very long. Had a very small root system which made me think that it was grown a beetroot tree that had been placed into this container not log ago for transport and to get rid of the last of their stock I can imagine. This was not what I was expecting!

Everything I've read has said only to plant a bereroot tree when dormant and I now found myself planting one in early bloom! I did my best to aid it with rootgrow and bone meal but since planting everything has come to a halt. No new foliage and the leaves that were there have wilted and in the last few day yellowed.

I can't tell if this is a state of transplant shock or if it has died completely? I'm hoping for a bit advice if there is anything I can do to help it? Would be quite disappointing if it doesn't come through as I wasn't the cheapest item.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Would have thought spring a very bad time to move a birch tree :sad:

Give it a good flood with the hose pipe :fingers crossed:

3. Adam2707

Adam2707 Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    Thank you.

I know I don't know how I managed to find myself in this situation as I had it planned from late last year. I was expecting It to come before end of march but It got delayed. I wasn't to concerned at first as I thought I would of of had a much denser containerized root system than what I ended up with.

I have given it a few good soaks since but I'm also conscious of over watering? I'm finding a lot of contradicting information on or how much to water a new tree.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you've given it a good soak then there's not much else you can do. Hope it picks up :fingers crossed:

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,988
    I'd complain to the supplier, sounds like they were selling you a bare-root plant along with a load of loose compost.

Rootgrow and bonemeal don't work together although now you've used it I don't think they do any harm just that they won't do any good either.