1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Transplanting ornamental Alliums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Mar 25, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I grow quite a few large Alliums. I have a clump which was about 6 and is now about 16! I meant to split them up after they had finished flowering last season and failed miserably to remember:doh:
    I walked past them today and they are up about 3 inches. Can I split them up now? or leave them until after they have flowered and no doubt forget again:redface:. Wondered if anybody had attempted doing what I would like to do and if so was it viable? I have moved Oriental Lilies when started into growth (you can't always do things when you should because of weather/huge number of jobs with big garden) and with quite a bit of care I managed to move them successfully only snapping off the growing point of 1 bulbs so not too bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      I’m not an allium expert but I wouldn’t risk it. You may end up with no flowers. I would wait until after flowering.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Yes I agree with Redwing.....divide them after flowering:noidea:. The safest way!!
        However, I must confess to moving bulbs even in flower and, usually, get away with it. The secret is to try and get a big enough lump of soil keeping the rooball intact. At 3" it isnt too tall.
        If you err on the side of discretion then make a note somewhere, perhaps on the calendar, to move them after flowering:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
          Ratings:
          +10,522
          never have moved them. but have only a few. can get more as we took down a few trees