Transplanting Sprouts

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Nikos Koukos, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Nikos Koukos

Nikos Koukos Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all.

Hoping for some help here. Today I planted some Brussel Sprout and red cabbage seedlings into my very first raised bed. I live in Scotland and understood my last frost date to be in couple weeks so thought it was good to plant them
    The roots were coming through bottom of seedling pot and thought it was perhaps time.

Now on reflection I am concerned it's too cold during the night and I've been a little hasty. To make things worse I received a PH test kit tonight and despite adding some mushroom compost to my soil 8 days ago the soil pH is around 5.6-5.8.

I am concerned this will be too acidic. My question is should o take them out of the bed tomorrow or will this cause a bigger problem? I'm not sure what I should do. Contemplating giving up on them also and starting with something more suited to that space.

Any opinions would be welcomed. I'm a complete beginner so mistakes were inevitable. Just hope I can perhaps turn this around.

I've adopted a sq ft garden approach on this one. I've attached a picture to give an idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks
    Nick

Attached Files:

2. beefpotnoodle

beefpotnoodle Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi, I'm a newbie too! Could you not cover them to protect from frost for the time being, as for soil and transplanting I have 0 experience sorry. But I wouldn't give up just yet!

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,935
    Unless you had a particularly hard frost your young plants should be alright, they are autumn/winter crops after all.
    Brassicas prefer slightly alkaline soil. I would recheck the soil pH at several different points and take a well mixed sample.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,304
      As Nigel says a late autumn/winter crop.
      To me it's a bit early, no rush as they say. :smile:

I used to sprinkle a ring of lime about 6 inches from the stems, it keeps slugs away as well.