1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

transplanting young conifers in May

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by laurence peddle, Apr 29, 2017.

1. laurence peddle

laurence peddle Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Hi everyone,
    I have some healthy-looking Cupressus Goldcrest conifers two years in the ground and about 4 feet tall. I would like to transplant them but I have read that it should be done when they are dormant. If I do it now, in May, and if I'm very careful with the rootball, what are the chances that the trees will survive? Thanks in advance, Laurence

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,961
      Give it a go, but water with a hose well, before and after, taking as bigger root ball as you can manage.
      You will then probably need to water well all summer, unless it turns out to be one of our dismal summers.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Water, water, water, water, water and water some more!!! (Are you on a meter?)

One of the reasons it is better to move them in the Autumn time is because nature gives them the necessary boost of water throughout the Autumn/Winter, which they need to become established.

Trouble is, this past Autumn/Winter has been quite dry! Which, in turn, makes me wonder if we are going to have "drought" conditions thrust upon us later in the year due to the reservoirs being low - in which case, metered or not and depending on your location, there may well be hosepipe bans. Something you may want to consider before you move them because water is the one thing which will aid their successful transplant.

Personally, if they are looking healthy at the moment, I'd be tempted to leave them where they are for this summer season and transplant in the Autumn (it's only 6 months away) when they stand a far better chance of survival and at a much lower cost in time and water charges.

Good luck with either decision you make and I hope they transplant successfully for you :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
        • laurence peddle

laurence peddle Gardener

Ratings:
          +16
          Hi Pete,
          Thanks for that. I moved one yesterday, but the rootball was very small, although i think I took all the main root system. It's put me off moving the others, especially when i look online at how expensive they are.I think I'll wait. I can always put stakes in the ground where the conifers will be, so that i can carry on with the planting scheme. Thanks again.

• Useful Useful x 1
          • laurence peddle

laurence peddle Gardener

Ratings:
            +16
            Hi M.
            Thanks for your reply. I'm in South Wales and we've had plenty of rain, or so I thought; but when i checked I found that it's been a dry winter here too. It says nothing about what the summer will be like, but I take your point about a hosepipe ban. Yes, I'll wait until Autumn. I'll consider preparing the conifers for transplanting, though it's not something I've ever done before.
            Yes, we are on a meter.
            Commercial growers use machinery to dig out and wrap the rootball, but I'm not sure whether it can be done with just a spade and some hessian.
            Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,961
              I'd always move evergreens in early spring rather that Autumn.
              Just as they are coming into growth, yes it means a lot of watering but to move an evergreen in Autumn when you dont know what kind of winter we are likely to get and to think you dont have to water such plants in the winter is very easy to convince yourself.

I've seen evergreen hedging on new housing estates die through the winter through lack of watering and cold Easterly winds.

• Like Like x 1
              • Useful Useful x 1
              • laurence peddle

laurence peddle Gardener

Ratings:
                +16
                Hi Pete, Yes, I see what you mean( I think). But I was under the impression that If a conifer tree is transplanted in November, say, in the UK, then it is dormant; and then it's OK to move it. Not sure why, but that's what I've read. Thanks again.

• pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,961
                September, October maybe, but moving when dormant is not quite the same as it is for deciduous plants.
                Evergreens still need to take up water during winter, and after November the ground will be too cold for the roots to be growing. ie. they die of drought during cold easterly winds.

IMO.:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • laurence peddle

laurence peddle Gardener

Ratings:
                  +16
                  Hi Pete, Thanks for that. There are about ten goldcrest to be moved, so I'll transplant some of them not and see how it goes. Thanks again. I'll be posting a new question tomorrow, by the way, about the best centrepiece tree for a garden with the goldcrest and other conifers. Will try uploading some photos.

• Friendly Friendly x 1