1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree fern and banana plant advice and opinions please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by kevmiller, Apr 12, 2008.

1. kevmiller

kevmiller Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys as some of you may know i am new to the forum but posted last week as i had purchased 2 6ft australian tree ferns and wanted some advice.

Now today i have planted them in the garden. Now i do already have 1 existing 5ft fern and want to know what and how do you feed your ferns. I have purchased some chiken manure food pellets. Is this ok and do i just dilute them in water. Also how often do you feed the ferns.

My second question is i have 15 existing fronds on my 5ft fern and have gone slightly brown from the winter but still look ok. Should i cut these of my fern or leave them on as i dont want to aafect the new fronds coming through as i think i have counted 15 new fronds. Last year i just cut them off.

And lastly i have a banana plant and last yeat i just cut the main stem completle down to the ground (to about 2inches) and covered with a plant pot. Today i have had the grand unveiling and what i want to know will the stem grow back or will new ones take their place. Good news is i have 5 new stems growing.

Sorry about all the questions hope you can help.

2. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    For feeding tree ferns i would wait a little longer until the weather is a bit warmer. Then about once i month i feed mine with just a couple of pellets and lots of water in the crown. Also feed the ground to encourage new roots to get established.

If the fronds have any green left on them leave them on to feed the plant. Some people leave the dead fronds on for a more natural look, its up to you what you like.

What banana was it? I wouldnt cut it down, as with a little protection you should be able to get it throgh winter, so it gets taller each year.

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    We leave the old fronds on until the new ones are starting to come up and all risk of frost has passed. We also water and feed our TF's down the crown. We don't water our if it has rained here, but in the summer, we put the hose on a trickle and leave it running for an hour or so. We also make up a solution of chicken pellets in water and feed them about once per week, but not until at least May, when the new fronds are getting going.

Your Banana should send a new leaf up through the centre of the old stem. Babies will come up around the stem, and when they are big enough, you can separate them and start a new plant.

4. kevmiller

kevmiller Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you so much for the reply's i will leave cutting the fronds of a little longer then as they have still got plenty of green left. As for the banana you live and learn. At least i now know what to do for this year. And i will leave feeding the fern until may time. Is there anywhere i can look at pictures of peoples ferns and banana's

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Should be sprouting any time now Kev. I don't know if you will make this one out but it has just started this morning. Then it will grow like the clappers.

[​IMG]