Tree Fern root growth

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Dec 30, 2011.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,645
    I accidentally knocked over one of my small Tree Ferns (Dicksonia antarctica) bringing it into the greenhouse. I'd planted it in May this year. It is interesting to see the amount of root growth it has put out, it was delivered to me as a 2 foot log, no fronds or roots.

[​IMG]

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    Yes, that's done very well to get that amount of root growth if you only potted it up in May, especially if it started with no root growth, JWK!! Just show's that it liked how it was potted up and what it was potted in. Did you put any slow release fertiliser in the compost or just liquid feed it:scratch::D

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +45,645
      Armandii, it's just my normal soil with a handful of wickes multipurpose compost and a small scoop of bonemeal. I read that you shouldn't give them much fertilizer to start with. Late summer I fed them with a very dilute seaweed spray.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,834
      That's interesting, JWK, if I remember rightly their natural habitat is quite harsh and lacking in food. I might be interested in growing one this coming year, but I'll see how I get on with the Cannas first.:D:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +45,645
        I've got a much bigger tree fern taking it's chances outside, I'll throw some fleece over it if the weather is predicted to be really bad. They appear to withstand some frost unlike cannas, but I'm a novice too :-)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,834
        Am I right in thinking that it's the top of the Tree Fern that needs good frost protection while the trunk can be just lightly wrapped, JWK??:scratch::D

• JWK

Ratings:
        +45,645
        I think so Armandii, the growing tip (buds) are right at the top. I wasn't planning on wrapping the trunk. I don't want a garden full of fleece ghosts over winter, I don't like the look of them. The two banana plants I've wrapped up are at the back of the border and not obvious, the big tree fern has pride of place from our garden room.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        I don't approve of moving plants everytime the weather turns

plant in the ground .... if it is tender, search forums and youtube on how to protect it and hope for the best

if it dies .... tough .... choose a different plant that will survive ... or if you really want one of those, grow it in your conservatory

becomes too much hassle to dig plants out and transfer to a greenhouse every year the weather turns cold

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +45,645
          Yes they were a pain to move *dim*, they are in 75l pots not in the ground, next year I'll plant them permanently, it was too much of a struggle lifting them hence why I accidentally knocked one over.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          lovely plants and always make a focal point .... sadly, gardening tv programs have been promoting them this year ... many of my clients want them, but are not educated enough to protect them in winter

I can and do plant them if they insist, but not sure if they will be protected during the cold months if I'm not around no more ...

and the larger ones are not cheap

they need nursing

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          No, I disagree, dim. Gardening isn't about stick it in and "stuff it". You've got your commercial head on again, where the plant is the client's and not yours:heehee::heehee::D
          When it's your own garden and your own plants there's a different outlook.:love30:

Besides it doesn't make ecological, financial, sense to disregard the needs and vulnerabilities of tender and costly plants. Part of gardening is recognising that certain plants are harder to raise and keep alive, and the enjoyment of achieving the standard of knowledge and skill to do so!!:thumbsup: Surely that's what gives us the buzz!!!

I don't mind moving plants into warmer, safer environments if they need it. Alright, it can be a bit of an effort and an inconvenience, but why buy the plants if you haven't already thought it out and recognised that would be part of growing them.:scratch: The only plant I do hate moving is my Banana as it's it a huge pot that I can just about get through a door, and it's back breaking heavy, so I don't move it around from place to place casually!!

• Like Like x 4
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Dunno how cold is is getting down your way John, and maybe you've lugged them under cover, but this may be of interest if they are outside

Hardy Tropicals UK - View topic - Protecting Dicksonia antarctica Treeferns in this freeze

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +45,645
              Those two little ones are snug inside my greenhouse now thanks. I've got a bigger one taking it's chances outside though. I've got a fleece over it tonight (minus 4 right now at 11:20pm) if this cold snap is predicted to get worse I'll be out with a Rockwool wrapping (£2 a roll from Homebase = cheaper than straw) tomorrow.

• Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
              +245
              Good luck with it John, we lost two last winter, although at much colder temps than this year. Others sailed though. For substained cold, unless you provide some heat, then the insualtion wont stop them cooling down anyway.

Treeferns do get -10C in native habitats, but not all, so some have more cold tollerance than others. Its a gamble with these types of plants, but given what used to be normal winters, its was a gamble worth playing. With what has been 4 reasonably cold winters in a row a bit more care and effort is needed, and anyone planting these in anything other than a sheltered/mild location has to know they are taking a risk. But with a bit of effort, wrapping and insualtion you can get though short cold snaps.

• Like Like x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,996
                Treeferns with their hats on - pic taken whilst out yesterday:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1