1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Harmony Arb, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,

I haven't been a member of this board for long but I have noticed that this 'Trees' section does get a LOT of posts regarding ill health in trees. Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any problems.

CAUSES OF ILL HEALTH IN TREES:
    Basically (and I mean very basically) there are two causes of ill health in trees. Biological and non-biological.

BIOLOGICAL AGENTS
    Fungi
    Bacteria
    Viruses and viroids
    Insects
    Birds
    Mammals inc. man

NON-BIOLOGICAL AGENTS
    Extreme weather - Hail, rain, cold, heat, frost, sun-scorch etc.
    Poor soil conditions - Drought, waterlogging, compaction, nutrient deficiencies etc.
    Chemicals - Weed killers, fertilizers, fuel spills, poisons, gasses etc.
    Other - Poor handling, mechanical damage, bad pruning practices, fire etc.

All these things, and more, can have a negative effect on trees that sometimes won't show symptoms until years after. Trees are living things that will try and deal with any ill health problems that you generally won't even know about.

SOME COMMON PROBLEMS WITH TREES:
    Soil conditions
    Drought - Pretty obvious. Nothing you can do except keep the tree watered in hot weather. Drought can also be brought about my extremely windy conditions.
    Waterlogging - Overwatering can be a serious problem in trees. Trees get oxygen from the ground as well as the air. If the ground is waterlogged the tree cannot get this soil air. Bacteria then form in the waterlogged soil and poison the tree. Do not overwater your trees.
    Soil compaction - Hardened soil around the tree makes it harder for rain water to penetrate the ground and reach the roots. Aerate the ground around the tree's dripline to alleviate this problem.

Mechanical damage
    Pruning - Countless times I have seen trees badly pruned by their owners and the problems associated with it. Pruning should only be undertaken if absolutely needed. Do not leave stubs or rips and do not cut branches flush to the tree. All these things make it harder for the tree to defend itself against infection. Take a look at this page for a pruning guideline. http://www.htlcservices.com/images/Tree_20Pruning_1_.gif
    Lawn mowing - Take care not to damage the base of the tree when using a lawnmower or strimmer. The bark is the protective layer of the tree that keeps out infections, as well as protecting the trees nutrient transport system (cambium, xylem & phloem).

INFORMATION REQUIRED TO MAKE A DIAGNOSIS:
    Please provide as much detail as possible when asking for help with dignosing a problem. Not only will it help in providing you with an answer, but it will help others who may be suffering the same problem. As I mentioned before, a lot of symptoms a tree shows can relate to a number of problems. Misdiagnosis could be as equally as bad as no diagnosis.

The Tree
    Species - inc. varieties and cultivars
    Location in its setting - Garden, roadside, waterside, sheltered, open?
    Age or date of planting
    Cultural operations - Any pruning, herbicide or fungicide carried out within the last few years?

The Site
    Soil type and condition - Free draining, waterlogged, clay, silt, acidic, alkaline, previous uses?
    Changes - Any excavations, additions or changes in soil levels within the last few years?

The Problem
    Provide as much detail as possible about the symptoms inc. when first noticed, how widespread, how severe, parts of plants affected. Also look out for fungal bodies, insects, abnormal growths on the tree such as galls, exudations etc. Provide a photo or photos whenever possible.

I really hope this help you in diagnosing a problem and finding a remedy.

(P.s. Maybe this can be sticked so forum users can view this first? Just an idea.)

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      WoW Treesurfer, what a Brilliant Thread...Thanks..Dee..

• Agree Agree x 1
      • tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Much appreciated treesurfer78

Perhaps a passing mod would make this a 'sticky'

• Like Like x 1
        • Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
          +8
          Treesurfer.....thanks.:thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
            +6
            Thats a damn good post mathew.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
              +1
              Excellent post Treesurfer ( and "The leaves are brown and falling off " was my best diagnosis :D ) I also think it should be a sticky at the head of this section.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
                +3
                Re-sticky...I'll pm a mod..see what happens yea.:thumb:

Have sent a pm to Daisees.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,686
                  Stuck - as requested!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3
                  • walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
                    +15
                  • Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
                    +15
                    Thanks for the positive feedback and making it sticky. Hope it's of use in the future.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • AstroTurf

AstroTurf Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23
                      This is a very helpful post that will save me a lot of headaches for sure! I detest not knowing what is wrong with a given tree.

• elly1685

elly1685 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Hi all,

Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since February. Full sunlight garden until 7pm but very heavy clay soil. The red robin trees seem to be doing fine after a shakey start! The blossom fell off the tree after 3 weeks and now the leaves are all shrivelled and brown. The leaves have fallen off a few of the branches and the leaves on the tree have holes in them. - is this normal? The leaves on the eucalyptus are also getting covered in yellow and purple spots and falling off - what's going on?? I am really not 'well up' on gardening and I am worrying the first thing I planted is going to die!! Thank you in advance!