1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Hollow Fill

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Denton Dave, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi All

I have a deep hollow in a tree that I need to fill to stop insects from settling there, I was planning on using expanding foam any thoughts on which type would be best Screwfix standard is not for wood I am told

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,991
    Expanding foam degrades with UV light, sounds like a good idea though.
    I didn't know there was different grades apart from, they used to do a special one for fire retardant.
    I dont keep up with these things much these days.:smile:

I think they used to use concrete to fill large holes in trees but I dont think that is recommended anymore.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      Hi Pete

Yes, I am removing a Bee Swarm to relocate them and want to fill the void space on a large branch to prevent any re-infestation occurring. I should have said the branch is quite high up so concrete will be a bit of a problem in this case. But now you mention it I recall seeing that done low down.

Thanks for the reply, I am sure someone will know of something that can be used from a ladder safely.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,608
        It would probably be better to remove the branch completely unless you think it will disfigure the tree too much.

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +4,586
        Stuff it hard with paper and then apply a skim of exterior Polyfilla mixed with brown paint over it? Score the polyfilla to look like bark. Paint PVA over that then to make sure it's weatherproof.

• Like Like x 1
        • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
          +3,718
          I'd go along with @kindredspirit , I think the recommendation nowadays is to wrap it if that's at all possible.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,991
          I dont think whatever you do it is going to be weather proof, it is afterall a living tree, increasing in size every year, if only very slowly, perhaps.

Anything that can absorb water and stay saturated would in my opinion encourage rot and fungi.
          Just my thoughts:smile:

Having said that I really dont know what is the best option, I'd say leaving it alone, but you dont want to do that:scratch::smile: