1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Issue

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cassie23, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Cassie23

Cassie23 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my current property 4 years ago. The previous owners had planted a number of trees a few years before selling. Most of the Acers seem to be varieties which don't grow beyond 1m or 2m high. The Acer shown in the attached image has grown considerably and I think will continue to grow. Its been placed right next to the boundary fence and over the past year I have noticed significant uplift of the fence at the back of the tree and patio at the front. I had some fence panels replaced in April and a section of wood was added to the side to make one fit and a further gap has opened up since. I think this tree is going to have to be cut down sadly. Its 12ft from the house but I don't think its going to cause issues with the property itself. Any thoughts on this issue? Also if I cut it down, which I think I will likely do during the winter months, what would you recommend replacing this with? I would like something that has a similar red colour in autumn and provides some privacy and shade over the patio but is not going to grow beyond a few metres high and doesn't have such invasive roots.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hello Cassie.

I love trees. Perhaps, psycologically. I feel that they put me in my place. More to follow.
    Cassie it is obvious from the photo, that as so often happens,and yes even the bestof us are guilty. The tree is plantd far to close to the bordering fence. You can at most, only see half of the tree. Your neighbours have a good view, but perhaps they might object. In which case they are legally allowed to cut back to boundary level the tree.

I'd be inclined to have a chat with next door. If trhey like it. OK. If they have objections, then judging by the photo, the treet might be able to be reduced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,482
      It looks a nice tree.
      I'd prefer to reduce it rather than remove it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
        Ratings:
        +2,381
        It appears to be forcing a buckle in the concrete gravel boards and fence post.
        As Mike said before, I'd talk to your neighbour because if they object to it, then it'll have to go.
        If they like it, why not give it a right good prune and bring it to a nice little shape.
        The new growth next year will look much more appropriate for it's position.

• Agree Agree x 1