1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree vs House

Discussion in 'Trees' started by 8260275R, Mar 8, 2020.

1. 8260275R

8260275R Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all, Tree 3.jpg Tree 2.jpg Tree 1.jpg

This is my first ever post here so apologies if I have this in the wrong forum. Could someone please tell me what species / name these trees are ? If anyone has an opinion about their proximity to the house I would be interested to know, but if I knew what they are called then I can start digging for information. Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Philcw1984

Philcw1984 Gardener

Ratings:
      +31
      Welcome,

Photinia x fraseri Red Robin

hope this helps :)

phil

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hi,

As @Philcw1984 mentions they are Red Robin and they can grow quite big and tall.

However you can prune them quiet readlily to keep to the size and shape you need, almost at any time of the year.
        Looks like someone has done a good job in shaping them, though suspect it was to act as a privacy screen to the window ? though would think its now blocking a lot of light out, much more than various window privacy nets/blinds/screens would do ?

As for roots, we dug up and moved one about the size of yours, in free soil, and its root ball was no bigger than the canopy, and most were fine fibrous roots.
        Would think yours will be well contained between to just under the gravelled area.

Not a tree surgeon but doubt they would affect the house wall.
        Think you would first notice the gravel lifting, which it probably is doing anyway, followed by that strip of concrete being lifted /cracked or the garden wall pushing out etc, well before any likelyhood of the house being affected.

It looks healthy but would suggest you avoid over feeding it as that will just make more growth.

• 8260275R

8260275R Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Hi all,

Thank you for the concise answers, been looking for this information for about 2 hours on the web !
        The images are pre hacking with cutters and yes they were put there with privacy in mind though why when the previous owners paid a small fortune to install french blinds is beyond me.

I really want to keep them and I do not feed them at all, so as long as I prune regularly I hope they will not become a problem.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1