Trip to the west country

Discussion in 'Wish You Were Here' started by Jack Sparrow, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I am toying with the idea of a trip to the west country. We usually opt for long weekends away so I thought it would be a good idea to spend 8/10/14 days travelling around for a change. I dont particularly want to drive that far but we can share the driving between the 2 of us.

My initial idea is to drive down to somewhere like Bath. It's about 4 hours from here so we can easily break it into 2 journeys with a refreshment stop in between. I would stay a day and a night in Bath (or 2 nights if needed) before moving on to Cornwall. I would possibly spend 3/4 days in Cornwall and then the same in Devon. I would then probably want another overnight stop somewhere on the way back.

I would probably be looking at going in June. The weather should be decent enough and it will avoid the school holidays. I am looking to be as economical as possible. If its going to break the bank then it's not going to be a viable option. If any body has any tips on where to stay at a decent price, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

G.

2. LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
    +428
    Bath is expensive to stay in cos it's a tourist destination. You would be better off staying just outside and travelling in. Bath to Cornwall is a fair distance but worth the journey. If you want somewhere fairly cheap to stay then Google Tom's Holidays. They have chalets in Hayle above the best beach in Cornwall. But you will need to book fairly soon to get a chalet with a beach view. Otherwise inland will be a lot cheaper as June is expensive in Cornwall as it is regarded as high season. But there is a lot of choice. I know Cornwall like the back of my hand as I've holidayed there for years. You need any info, give me a shout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      Hi @LauraRoslin thanks for your reply. I agree that Bath itself would be too expensive. I would be looking for something in that general area. Bath to Cornwall looks to be about another 4 hours. I can do that in a stages. At least it would be only a fraction of the distance it would have been from here.

The beach isn't too important to us. We would rather be centrally located in a town or a village. We would be spending our days travelling around.

I have had a quick look on Expedia and prices for B&B is quite high. It's difficult to know what to do for the best. Cheaper properties tend be isolated farmhouses. We dont really want to be stuck kn the middle of nowhere if we can help it.

The dates aren't too crucial. Summer is obviously the ideal choice. September would also be an option if necessary. It all depends on costs. If it costs too much then I won't be doing it. It would be a shame. I have been many times professionally but my wife has never been. I want to show her as many different places as I can.

G.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,635
      We stayed in a lovely AirBnB in Frome in September. It's within easy striking distance of Bath and is a quaint town with plenty to see and do. I can send you the link of the little cottage we stayed in if you are interested, it's in the town centre and is very good value, clean and cosy.

In the past we have stayed at Glastonbury which is well worth visiting if you want a hippy new age experience, the atmosphere and shops are unique. Again it's not far from Bath.

• Like Like x 1
      • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
        +428
        If you go in September, the prices drop by a lot! As soon as the kids go back to school. I've been at that time and the weather isn't too bad usually. Hayle is on the coast but you can also get everywhere else fairly easily. There's also caravan and chalet sites in Helston. It's a very nice little town with lots of book shops and is more central. There's a good pub there too which has rooms. But the chalets will be your cheapest option unless you really don't want to cater for yourselves.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
          +428
          May is also a lot cheaper than June and the weather is often lovely. If you want to go that early in the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,996
            Sun Holidays start again first week in January. During May not last BH w/e)they're £38 (up to 4 people) + approx £7/night service charge + approx £3 booking fee, making 4 nights/Mon -Fri only £69 (excl. entertainment passes if you like that sort of thing). But go in June and they're £60 in lieu £38 and more difficult to find vacant dates.

We've booked 2 hols back to back before, moving out from one at 10:00 and into another a 16:00, but we get both in our 'baskets' on 2 laptops before hitting the book now buttons. Codes start appearing from 5th Jan, but no need to buy papers as they get posted on moneysaving expert - there's a thread already started for it "Sun from £9.50 holiday codes January 2019". Booking from early 14th Jan (somtimes the code gets posted before the papers appear in the newsagents).

If staying B&B on way down/back, prices tend to be cheapest in West Somerset (handy for Exmoor). If booking through booking . com, after making the first booking, refer OH so they make the second booking and each get £15 Booking.com: The largest selection of hotels, homes, and holiday rentals

If you can get hold of an NT card for the trip it will avoid paying a fortune in parking charges in their car parks.

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
            • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              With Sun Holidays, do you get to pick where you can stay? I've never booked one so...

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,996
              You need to input 4 choices out of loads of locations, plus 4 dates. Sometimes juggling them around helps produce your desired choice, 3 highly sought after locations + the one you really want used to yield better results.

Monitor the MSE codes thread from the evening before the last code is printed the following morning, sometimes it's there before midnight, so you can have the pick of dates/sites whilst most people wait until they buy a paper the following morning.

As it's the same price for 4 people as 2, so I have always made up extra party members to get 4, as I'm sure you're more likely to get what you want if they think you'll be paying for 4 extra entertainment passes, 4 bed linens, etc., but we buy nothing extra.

There are some real bargains to be had. We've got a caravan booked for next year so we can go to the Farne Islands when the sea birds are there for breeding, and it's only costing about £100 for 4 midweek nights including taking our dog.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,486
              Good helpful advice from LauraRoslyn about Cornwall.
              I live in the area she mentioned and she is right, the beach here is the best in Cornwall.....in the UK too :)

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              Oh, you are so lucky, Verdun! I almost lived just behind the dunes but .... it fell through. The biggest regret of my life.

• PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
              Ratings:
              +323
              All this talk of Cornwall reminds me of our mid-winter holiday to Port Isaac . Leaving at 01.30am we arrived on Dec.21 1994 at around 10.00am . Stayed in an old coastguard cottage for 10-days .
              Port Isaac was magical ; Xmas lanterns swinging across the narrow lanes after dark , and the sound and smell of the Atlantic ; sheer bliss .
              I think we only had one wet day out of ten ; nine were frosty but clear blue .
              Beaches were virtually deserted ; only locals and dog-walkers around .
              A really good winter experience .
              Took everything we needed for Xmas including the turkey !:blue thumb:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,486
              Sounds good PaulB3.....:). visit the back streets of St Ives around christmas time for a real dickensian feel :)
              Shame it fell through LauraRoslin........my dad once had a chance of buying a chalet on the towans 20 odd years ago for £4000. A much bigger one nearby is on the market now for a cool million pounds. Prob will be snapped up by a wealthy second homer! :smile:

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              A tip regarding Bath. Don’t bother trying to find somewhere to park. Much easier to use the Park n Ride just outside (west of) Bath, just off the A4. I can provide more detail if required :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,508
                Not forgetting the Doc Martin connection.

• Like Like x 1