1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropaeolum Speciosum

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Nice simple question - how hardy are they? There seems to be conflicting advice online about whether they are hardy or half hardy.

If the former, I have the perfect location for one of them, through the neighbours vile Leylandii. Seeing as I can't use Russian Vine:hehe:

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hi Aaron

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question as I've never grown this plant - but I am quite tempted, since Thompson and Morgan is offering it for less than a fiver and claims that it will cope with east/north facing walls. And I love the colour. I've been investigating it for a different reason; I seem to remember reading on some forum or other that it can be very invasive once it gets established. I can cope with something being a bit borderline on hardiness but I don't want to end up taking on another thug.:hehe:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Why do you think I am asking Clare? I got the same email!

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    :hehe:

I remember seeing lots of this plant growing in villages around the Haute Vienne in central France, where they have warm, wet summers (a bit like the West Country) but cold winters, so I should have thought it would be reasonably hardy. It looked fantastic, by the way!

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, from a brief google, it seems to do better 'the further north and west' you are.

Hmmm, well that's us ruled out. It hasn't rained here in three weeks!

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    It's pretty unusual, though, isn't it? Last summer we more or less grew gills.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Well hopefully someone can advise us both then!

The Thompson and Morgan offer is for a 9cm pot, so I would have to grow it on first before planting out next Spring. The location I have in mind for it is currently hidden by other perennials so they need to die down first :)

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would go for it. The odds are in your favour.:gnthb:

9. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Trapeolum ? Well that's an interesting one.
    It's said to be hardy - and probably is. I see it growing all through hedges and looking great. Been there for years so must get through the winters.
    But that's not the problem.
    It's one of those plants that will grow for you - or it wont.
    No obvious reason that you can see.
    It's so fikey ( fussy in a way that can't be defined) that folklore says it will only grow if you have stolen a bit ie it will not thrive from seeds, bought plants, gifts from friends/ neighbours where it is doing well. It will only grow from a bit you have stolen. It's as fikey as that. But if it likes it it will reward you well. God only knows what it likes.
    If you get some Trapeolum going let us know. A sure signal that you are truly blessed :wink:

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,729
    :) Hello my Sweets ...

Well, I certainly can't grow this beauty as it likes cool, shady, damp positions ... don't you dare say a word ..... :hehe:

It is a beautiful creature and as it is a rhizome will survive the horrid southern British climate, me'thinks.

I know what you like and typically they are not 'cheap' so now that you've quit smoking I say 'go for it' ... I would if I was there ..... xx

11. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    It grows like a weed for my neighbours but I can't get it going at all :scratch:

12. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, that's another thing I've read about - either it likes you or it doesn't. Hmmmm.

As Thompson and Morgan are selling one for £4.99 I think I shall get one. It's not a huge amount of money to splash out if it decides it doesn't like me. And if it does I'll be delighted :)

Thanks all.

13. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    :) I have tried a couple of times to get this plant going and for one reason or another it just doesn't like my light soil.
    I do like it though,I think it is a fascinating plant and would love to see it meandering through my shrubs.

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    It is a smasher Aaron & I have thought about one many times.. I would have thought it would have grown for you, but you might need to water it as it likes it's roots in moist soil as I understand it.. It would seem though that it is only hardy down to -5c, so you may or may not have to give it's roots at least a little extra protection in winter...
    I did find this though, it might interest you.. I also think T&Ms plants are very small, you usually see them in 1 1/2 - 2 litre pots.. That is what bugs me about T&M, allot of their plants are very small & you usually have to grow them on for a year or 2 to get a descent sized plant that might stand up to our weather,,,

Hope that helps some Aaron..!!

15. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I tried this plant many years ago and after it died on me I passed it by
    It was given to me ... obviously I should have stolen the darned thing :)
    It is lovely though ........