1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

tropical

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by miraflores, Nov 1, 2016.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    hi everybody - I have recently "adopted" (no photo, before you ask...) a tropical looking plant with big oval thick leaves, about 40 cm high -1 1/2 foot, which has been neglected but it is definitely alive.

I imagined that first thing to do was to set it free from the vase and put it into the water to reanimate it. It has been in the water now for 1 and a half day but still the leaves are completely floppy (and I mean vertical floppy, looking down).

Is it just taking its time to reanimate and should I add some liquid food in the water?

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Hi mira, hope you and all are well. xx

Your mystery plant may be a Rubber Plant so look up problems they may encounter when ill treated as it could be temp too cold or lack of water. They are pretty easy to maintain in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_elastica

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    thank you Vic, it definitely looks pretty similar. I will research for problems, althought I think that the plants looks really healthy other than the evident lack of water...I can leave it a little longer in the water but I don't want to overdo it.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?

They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats the problem. Don't feed it until you can establish the cause.