1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with Azalea

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by KFF, Apr 23, 2020.

1. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi all ,

There's something wrong with one our Azaleas, I hope you can help..

This is the plant close up

20200423_171108.jpg
    The whole plant

20200423_171052.jpg
    This is his twin

20200423_171122.jpg

The plants are situated about 3 ft apart and are grown in the same way, in large tubs in ericaceous compost. They've been planted around 12/14 months and were both fed about a month ago with Rhododendron & Azalea Feed. The only difference is that the one on the right of the step is in a little more shade and a little more wind ( when it's windy - it's not in a wind tunnel ).

I've checked and it's fully rooted and there are no signs of any pests. It only seems to be really affecting the flowers, the leaves seem fine. It seems to have happened quickly, perhaps over 3 days.

The only thing I can think of is scorching through the high temperatures ( 25 ° today ) and the breeze/wind.

Thank you

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    No ideas anyone ? ? ?

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
  4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,021
    Well my considered opinion is,.......its dead.:biggrin:

Seriously, I'd guess a root problem, as it appears to have tried to flower and leaf up which have died off.
    Suggesting it was doing this with sap remaining in the wood, bit like cutting down woody material in winter, it then goes on to shoot in the spring even if it has no roots, the shoots then of course die off pretty fast.
    Just a guess, but did it get water logged during winter?

• Like Like x 1