1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Troublesome area of grass.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Jocko, May 11, 2022.

1. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    I have a large area of inherited grass that is in a sorry state. We refer to it as "The Meadow".

Troublesome grass 11-5-22.jpg

There is a lot of moss though not as much as before I watered in a solution of Ferrous Sulphate, but there is a stubborn edge.

Mossy edge 11-5-22.jpg

There are also large areas of tough grass.

Tough grass 11-5-22.jpg

Areas of yellow grass (like corn)

Yellowing grass 11-5-22.jpg

and holes.

Holes in grass 11-5-22.jpg

The area is very uneven and impossible to cut really short. Last autumn we planted about 700 croci, some of which flowered in March.
    I have a water-filled roller and I have tried rolling it but I think I would need a road roller to make any difference. I have a rotary mower but it has wheels and an easily adjusted height mechanism.

What I want to know is what can I do to improve it? At 74 years of age, I am not going to lift it and reseed or returf it. Even raking the moss out was a major task for me.
    I have a Heavy Duty Hollow Tine Lawn Aerator but now I have the croci under the grass I am afraid I damage them if I use it. When we put them in we backfilled the holes with good fresh compost.
    I intend to fill the holes with soil and overseeding (as soon as the high winds abate) but I don't know what to do about the coarse grass other than digging it out and as there is so much of it that would nearly be as bad as reseeding.
    As pensioners on fixed incomes, there are also budgetary constraints.
    Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi my lawn is not as green. as some lawns mainly my garden is shady there is a lot of trees by me also the land was once farmland so the soil moist so i use sugar and fresh used coffee to feed my grass and kill grass weeds and i used salt and vinegar to kill moss and keep it at bay
    Last year i had one side of my lawn full of white clover used sugar for 6weeks slowly they died and now they are all gone then fertilzed the grass a few times with used coffee. its much better now it looks like a lawn but now having trouble with squirrals digging holes in the lawn
    I read recently baking soda is an all-natural killer of moss and it is also the cheapest and most effective way to get rid of moss for good and all.
    you need to sprinkle it the coverage with a broom or brush. Leave it as it is. After a few days, you’ll notice that it turns golden and will just flake away. Even mold or pollen buildup won’t stand a chance with baking soda! Best when its dry so it work better
    so you dont have to use chemicals sometimes things you have in your home works plus is cheaper

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,332
    I should point out that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), salt (sodium chloride), vinegar (acetic acid), sugar (sucrose) and even fresh used coffee (is that like used beer?) are all chemicals just as much as ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, glyphosate, iron sulphate are all chemicals.
    The mode of action differs and they are readily available and cheap. However they can cause damage if overused, for example sodium chloride can build up in the soil. Vinegar and baking soda locally alter the pH, both baking soda and sugar will draw water out of moss.
    Most of these chemicals are best applied when rain is not expected for a day or so as they are water soluble and will be washed away.
    All chemicals should be used carefully and only as required.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,332
      Having tried to find crocus and snowdrop bulbs growing in the grass under my trees I think you have little chance of hitting many of them. You could even turn it into a game like "pin the tail on the donkey". I've even failed to find crocus bulbs in a patch of ground that in the March was a mass of flowers as it was the next year.

• Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      Hey that lawn looks exactly like our "good" lawn.
      After two years of trying to change it into a presentable state, I just said "skrew it" and now it can grow however it pleases. From time to time I cut out the dandelions but that's about it. There's no shame in concentrating your efforts on some nice shrubbery instead of fighting a loosing battle.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jocko

Ratings:
        +6,780
        Today I made a start to The Meadow. I got my roller out and started off by filling all the holes (or most of them) with compost. I must have used about half a bag. I then rolled all the patches before sprinkling a mixture of grass seed and John Innes seed compost over them. Once again I rolled all the treated areas. There is rain forecast this evening and overnight but if it doesn't happen I will have to get my hose out and give it a fine mist, either tomorrow or Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,991
          Bit late but some sieved garden soil or top soil might be better for filling any depressions, organic material has the habit of slowly disappearing and then your back with the hollow.

Sorry just noticed you said JI compost.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
        • Jocko

Ratings:
          +6,780
          I only used the John Innes for the seed/top dressing. I used Miracle-Gro compost to fill the holes. The holes were not that deep, just bare of grass. If the new grass takes and I end up with a slight depression I can always put a light dressing of topsoil on top.
          I am glad to say the promised rain has started so I won't need to get the hose out.

• Like Like x 1
          • Jocko

Ratings:
            +6,780
            Rain has been on and off for the past 24 hours so no need to get the hose out. I have treated the mossy edge with Richard Jackson's Moss Remover so I will see how that goes. The idea is it kills the moss and then "digests" the moss so you do not have to rake it out. We'll see.

• Jocko

Ratings:
            +6,780
            Despite the rain, I had to water the reseeded patches.
            Is there any way to try and remove the humps and bumps in the ground? Other than filling in the low areas with light and regular topdressing I cannot think of what to do. It restricts how short I can cut the grass as it starts to shave areas if I set the mower too low.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            If it’s too bumpy they need to be cut out and the level corrected. A lute can be used for small lumps and bumps but in reality it’s a case of working on the high points if the mower is scalping.

• Jocko

Ratings:
            +6,780
            So is it a case of identifying the high points by scalping? Do I then have to scrape soil off the top of the high points and then reseed?
            Will being able to get a lower cut help to cure my patches of coarse grass?

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Yes to height but no to controlling the grass depending on what type it is.

• Jocko

Ratings:
            +6,780
            Thank you. So it looks like I will just have to dig out the coarse grass and reseed these areas too?

[​IMG]

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Yes, that’s the best way. Some grasses don’t like being sliced, some apply a herbicide then reseed but digging up and reseeding with the correct type of grass seed is a good method.