1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Truly inspirational

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Dec 30, 2016.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    We should never be too quick to judge somebody based on outward appearances.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,485
      Respect :love30:

Excellent achievement and performance.

Totally irrelevant to their performance but I hated the background music so I muted the sound. I think it was just an overlay of music but if it was at the event itself I would have had to walk out. :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Yes the music is awful isn't it. Towards the end of the video I think I can make out a different tune in the background so yes it probably is an awful overlay.

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          :wow: :love30: :love30: :love30: :wow:
          Thank you for posting that; awesome!

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Perhaps one of the most impressive aspects of this is that judging by the uniforms and things on the wall, this is ITF taekwondo. The think about that is its roots are quite political. Taekwondo, especially ITF taekwondo, emerged in post war Korea. When the Japanese occupation ended, the Korean government called a handful of the best martial artists in the country, and asked them to form a unified style that outshines the Japanese styles of karate and jiujutsu etc.

The government wanted to be one better than Japan. If the Japanese did a turning kick, the Koreans wanted a full 360 jump and spin kick. If the Japanese wanted to show off their straight jumping kicks, the Koreans wanted to jump higher, or doing other fancy stuff. All in all, politically, it is geared to show off superior physical ability. I think that makes it all the more interesting that ITF taekwondo is the style that these guys have chosen to pursue.

Credit must also go to their instructor(s). I train in a Korean style related to taekwondo but with less of the political influence, so I know that many of the techniques are built on the assumption that the whole body works. A kick for example calls into play everything from feet, knees, hips, arms for counterbalance etc. You can adapt techniques to some extent, to allow for minor niggles, but generally the techniques fall apart if anything significant is broken. Somebody, the guys in the video plus their teachers, must have but hundreds and hundreds of hours into practicing and trial and error and adaptation to take those techniques designed to show off the elite athleticism of the Korean army, and make them work as gracefully and fluidly for people with substantial physical challenges.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
              Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Their dedication is unquestionable, as is their skill.
              There are many able bodied people who would not commit to such a gruelling schedule of focus and physical endurance that these people have: that much is clear.

Fascinating piece of background, thank you for sharing that.

• Like Like x 2