1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying To Identify soil type.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Goku, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Goku

Goku Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I read up on a method and attempted it, I personally don't know what I was looking for and really wasted my time. I was told of another method of digging up a select amount of soil and stirring it around and letting it settle for some time. A while later I go and check, it's all settled, I've had a look and I believe it's gravel/clay, sand and then silt, I'm unsure though. I would really appreciate some help here, as I said I'm really just guessing. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    The heavier particles settle out first, so the grit then the sand and so on. Clay has the smallest particles and forms the top layer or doesn't settle at all. Organic matter tends to float. The purpose is to see the different proportions the different particle sizes make up. I think you have a fairly well balanced mixture in your photograph.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Goku

Goku Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      What type of soil would you say it is? Also, I didn't include the top of the water because I didn't think it was relevant to my question, however it had another layer floating on top of the water and this covered the surface, with which you have told me is organic matter. I understand that organic matter is very important but how little or how much is good or bad I don't know. As always Nigel you've been a star.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,072
      • Goku

Goku Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        Thank you, extremely helpful, the information is pretty down to a tee too, at least in aspects that I actually know about. It says my soil is Loamy some clayey, slightly acidic and fertility is almost max. If you have the time, do you have any suggestions on whether I should/n't improve my soil and what I can/could do? Don't know if you saw one of my others post but I'm trying to get back into the rhythm and my grandad dealt with soil and fertilizing while I was strictly planting as he called me Green Fingers as I manage to plant things he couldn't.

• Like Like x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Pretty much agree with what has been said.
          However, now do a PH test.....vital to know if your soil is acid, neutral or alkaline. Easy and cheap and quick test to do :) The soil in your garden may not necessarily be the same as that elsewhere in your area.
          Goku, in the autumn can you add manure, compost, mushroom compost etc., to your soil? Adding this "bulky" stuff is so beneficial.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Goku

Goku Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +6
            I haven't a clue as to where to buy a ph test, I had a look around and almost everywhere people were saying the tube tests were unreliable which is why they're cheap.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            No, they are reliable. Any garden centre, DIY or even online Goku. They are cheap because they are not complicated.
            They tell you your soil type, ph wise, and then you will learn what you can and cannot grow.
            Have FUN with your testing and your garden :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Goku

Goku Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +6
              Thanks and you too. I'll pick one up when I get some more gardening equipment and give it a shot then, thanks!

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,072
              The tube test kits are simple and reliable. It's those cheap meter thingies with a long metal probe that are a waste of money.