1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to iIdentify a houseplant

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Lindy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Lindy

Lindy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

A friend gave me some seeds to plant last year the plant is very unusual. I haven't found it in any books so far ! Could anyone help ? or point me in the direction of a relevant website ?

It's an upright houseplant that has green oval shaped leaves with lighter green markings which consist of a single line up the middle of the leaf with others branching off (sorry, I'm not very good at this !). The stem of the plant is a strange shape. it is solid and green and it's cross section is like a square with concave sides. the seeds grow at the top of the stem and the plant fires them out ! The stem has leaves from about halfway upwards and consists of pairs of leaves opposite each other, going right to the top of the stem. The height of the plant is around 40-50 cm.

Any ideas ?? sorry about the rubbish description !

Thanks

Lindy

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :D Hi Lindy,
    Well yes that certainly was some discription.. :D :D I'm afraid I have no ideas, but someone probably will... [​IMG] Any chance of you posting a photo???? [​IMG]

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like a type of impatiens? maybe new guinea with the seed propelling mechanism

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    >> The flowers are sometimes striped or barred, some are also bicolour or margined in a contrasting colour. Best removed after flowering, come the exploding seed pods. Some species, including the New Guinea Hybrids, have been developed for their bronze, yellow or variegated leaves.<<

The above is an excerpt from a catalogue, is it like any of these?
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/balsaminaceae/album?.dir=590a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/balsaminaceae/my_photos

5. Lindy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again,

I don't think it is an impatien as I dont' think it is a flowering plant. The ones I have are only young but the parent plant has no flowers.

Looking at the pictures from the link, I'd say mine was more tree-like. i.e. a single upright thick stem. and the leaves are more rounded with smooth edges. Unfirtunately, I can't get a picture on as I dont' have a picture of the parent plant :(

Thanks for your help

Lindy

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
  7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just a point. If it bears seeds, explosive or not, it must have flowered at some time unless it's a very exceptional plant. The flowers may be tiny and insignificant but they will have been there.

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Himalayan balsam has square stems and explosive seeds, grows in tall single spikes,
    but has flowers. Some euphorbias have insignificant flowers with explosive seeds but I can't find a square stemmed one, and mints and sage have square stems but no exploding seeds, and again, flowers.
    Might be worth having a look at the Himalayan balsam.
    Have you seen the seed pods, and what size are the seeds?

9. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  10. Lindy

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really remember what the seeds were like it was a year ago that I saw the parent plant and mine are very slow growing. I'll try to get a picture on of the young plant - I only have internet access at work though so it's quite difficult.

All I can remember about the seeds is that they grow on the stem - at the top of the plant. The seeds are small and black, The diamater was probably around 3 mm.

I will try to get a picture on this week........

11. Lindy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a picture of the plant now, how do I get it on here ?!

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    you have certainly got everyone thinking about on one Lindy... for photos go to "how to post photos in your message" I think its in the members gallery topic, 2nd page there is a complete guide, I used it and it worked for me. [​IMG]

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  14. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    I'm trying to work out what it is ... haven't yet, the stem doesn't look square on this pic. Like to have seen the parent plant. [​IMG]

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Dont know what it is but it looks like an interesting plant, the leaves look a bit leathery to me, slightly succulent even.
    Wonder if the sap is white, some type of euphorbia maybe.