1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tub Successes and Failures

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by aqua, Sep 20, 2005.

1. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What would you and wouldn't you do again?

I've learnt (I think :D ) how many plants to put in a pot at last :D

Flowers:

Success -Pink Cosmos, it spent most of the summer looking absolutely fantastic until the ******* caterpillars got it whilst I was away and oculdn't stop them

Failure - Wild Flower Seed for containers :( hardly any flowers, lots of leaves that always looked like they were about to show some fab flower but never did

Vegetables:

Success - my tomatoes, it was my first year of growing anything EVER let alone by seed so imagine how utterly happy I've been all summer with my tomato plants (5 varieties). I also grow everything organically and I had this thought my crops/plants wouldn't be as big/strong etc - my how wrong I was :D

Failures - lettuce, it needed far too much attention which at the time of sowing I just didn't have :( [​IMG]

what about yourselves?

[ 21. September 2005, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pennisetum rubrum brilliant for containers still going strong but not hardy Oxeye daisy worked well if you like wildflowers,Sciadopitys verticilata lovely conifer brilliant in container brachycome a lovely bedding plant thrives on neglect blooms forever my big mistake was mesembryanthemum i either overwatered them or too rich a compost and the flowers open in the sun so they bloom lovely while i was at work!!!ps musa basjoo was is great :D :D

3. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Peas - next year I'll give them a more stable trellis to climb, as this one fell over every time it was windy.
    Tomatoes - died before I could put them outside.
    Lettuce - just kept going and going!
    Courgettes "de Nice a fruit rond" or something - did really well too.
    Butternut squash - still waiting for them to fruit.
    Flowers - I didn't do any but I've got some hyacinths and tulips for the spring.

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Peas...try an old variety called 'Alderman'available from some garden centres.... it grows as tall as runner beans!

5. dabbit

dabbit Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have grown many vegetables in pots including, there is little I wouldn't recommend:

Peas (R)
    Dwarf beans (R)
    Beetroot (??)
    Potatoes (R)
    Cucumber (R)
    Strawberries (R)
    Garlic (R)
    Carrots (R)
    Corgettes (R)
    Tomatoes (R)
    Sweetcorn (N/R)
    Apple trees (To new to recommend)
    Lettuce (R)
    Radish (R)

(R)=Recommended
    (N/R)=Not Recommended
    (??)=Varying results

6. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that info dabbit will try some next year it has got me thinking :D :D

7. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Brazil
    I tried Runner Beans (Scarlet Emperor) in a half whisky barrel this year - trained up 8ft canes in a wigwam. They grew and cropped really well and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same next year except that I'm converting half my garden to fruit and veg anyway. Only thing you would need to remember is watering - can't speak for other plants but a half barrel full of runners are very very thirsty.
    Cheers
    Rat