Tuber overwintering

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Fat Controller, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,857
    Having lifted my dahlia tubers last year with the intention of having them again for this year, I subsequently lost the lot as they rotted; without doubt, this was due to me leaving them on a shelf in the greenhouse in open air.

So, this year, having grown quite a few from seed, I would like to lift the tubers again, and this time store them properly - question is, how and where? I have something rattling around in my head about sulphur powder, but that could be complete nonsense?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sulphur would help with any fungal attack.

I think it depends a bit on the size of the tubers. I find if I store small tubers "loose" then they often don't sprout in the Spring. Big clumps of tubers are fine. I have previously stored them in trays (perforated type, so plenty of air circulation, but I think it dries them out too much - might as well buy shrink wrapped packets of already-dead tubers in the local Shed :( )

This year I am going to pot them up in dry compost (the "soil" from the greenhouse - which starts the season as 50% manure and 50% compost heap) so that I don't have that job to do in the Spring. I will then store them "dry" in the garage or conservatory - they should be happy outside, so they won't mind some moisture. That's my theory anyway!

3. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I lifted mine and gave them a wipe with kitchen roll then just put them in a pot in the garage. Planted them this year and they are fine!

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    FC when I lift tubers , I let them dry in the garage for about 2 weeks. Shake off any loose soil , and powder them with sulpher. I did find before using sulpher I had maggots coming out of one begonia tuber ! Wrap them in kitchen roll and then hang them from the roof in an onion net bag filled with shredded paper to keep them ventilated. I have used plastic bags with lots of holes cut in them as well. Don't forget to clearly label your tubers - you will not remember what type they are !
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elemental...Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item257e8b9546

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      I was just thinking of posting a similar thread.
      My dahlia's are in pots. The pots were left out over winter and they survived. But this year I was thinking of putting the pots in a shed or on the greenhouse floor. Would I just leave the pots dry all winter?
      p.s. one pot is no too full and so the bulbs from this pot will be going into the ground in spring. Would they be best left in the pots or taken out and stored?
      Gazania

• al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
      Ratings:
      +3,267
      I did leave some in the planters as well over winter, but they were close to the house and not too wet. They have come through too.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,857
      Thanks all :), including @Kleftiwallah for the PM:blue thumb: - I am hell bent that I am going to carry as much as I can forward for next year, the dahlias being one of the main ones (I have developed a real soft spot for them).

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Begonias I would treat differently to Dahlias. I would want them drier and much more important to dust with sulphur (particularly where the stalk came away from the crown).

I would leave them in pots. Trouble with pots (outside) is that the cold can penetrate from all sides - compared to the open ground where it is only the top surface from which the cold penetrates - so important that the pots are not somewhere with prolonged sub-zero temperatures.

I would leave in pot, kept somewhere protected over winter (obvious needs no light, particularly, whilst dormant) and plant out in the spring.

They will be OK with some cold, but they will tolerate dry-cold much better than wet cold. Containers are likely to be more free draining, particularly if you are on clay, and close to the house the cold not as severe, so that may be fine ... but if things decide to burrow in there and eat them ... or they rot in the wet ... then nothing for next year.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        This is my first year growing Cactus Dahlias , and Mrs H and I are really impressed with them. As usual this thread has raised quite a few questions....................... On an average year , to what time will Cactus Dahlias bloom too ? When would you normally lift/store the tubers ? Are there any other 4 foot tall dahlia varieties I can consider?
        TIA

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
        +204
        Thanks Kristen, I shall leave my dahlia's in their pots and over winter them in my shed where they can be kept cool and in the dark.
        gazania

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        "Depends" :heehee:

If you start them off in February, with some heat, indoors / greenhouse, then "quite a bit earlier than if you leave them in the ground". Towards end July if you are lucky I would say, Early August if not. Maybe not until late August if they were left in the ground.

Not until the foliage has been blackened by frost - and even then no rush if it was a one-off frost. Its not unusual for that to be some time in December. However, if it gets very wet it miught be better to lift them earlier, as the Wet + Cold is going to increase the risk of rot.

Dahlia imperialis? :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Now that's what you call a Dahlia !!!! Up to 30 feet tall.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1