1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tulip, Daffodill and Hyacinth Bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kazzawazza, Jun 2, 2015.

1. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I had a beautiful display of hyacinths, tulips and daffodils in pots this year. It was so lovely to see the first flowers in the garden again at Easter. Once the flowers had finished I broke the heads off and took the rest of the plant, bulb and all, and put them upright in onion bags that are now hanging on hooks in the garage. Am I right in thinking that I leave the plants to die off naturally and then break the remaining bottom of the stem from the bulb, they can then be stored back in the onion bags until late autumn for replanting?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,002
    They should have been left out in the sun and kept watered so they can regenerate their bulbs to flower again next year. If they are still green you need to heel them into soil for a couple of months and let them die down naturally.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I agree with JWK - you were a little premature. It is *after* they have died down that you can store them.
      Personally, I don't bother digging them out because no sooner have they died back and dug up for storage, it feels like it is time to dig them in again :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2