1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tumbler tomato dilemma

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by yorkshire lass, May 27, 2016.

1. yorkshire lass

yorkshire lass Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My dear tomato growing keen gardener/ neighbour, sadly died 2 weeks ago just after I had, for the 1st time, bought some tumbler toms to grow on my kitchen window sill.
    I was so used to David giving me advice and now that he's gone , I'm lost.
    they are in 3 small pots , 3 little pea sized toms are on one plant, 1 tom on another and nothing on the tallest plant.
    Should I be feeding them with every day ?
    Should I repot them into a larger pot. ?
    Is it safe to put them outside ?
    Should I be taking off some of the leaves ?
    Sorry for all these questions but I hope that you can help. IMG_0001.JPG

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    You should feed at least twice a week with a tomato fertilizer such as Tomorite. Those pots look rather small so I would pot on. It's too early to have them outside 24 hours at the moment, I'm waiting till mid-June for my outdoor tomatoes - they will need hardening off gradually.

Don't take any leaves off they convert sunlight into new growth and will swell the fruit.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • yorkshire lass

yorkshire lass Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you for your reply.
      I have now re-potted the 2 plants with tomatoes in a larger pot in the greenhouse.( the large pot won't fit on my window sill !) the large plant with no tomatoes , I have put in a larger pot on the windowsill. some leaves fell off when I moved them because they had got tangled up so I hope that they will continue to grow !
      Thanks again.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,057
      They won't mind losing a few at this stage.

• yorkshire lass

yorkshire lass Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks. I've looked in the green house just now and they all look a lot happier !

• Like Like x 1