1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Turf after a week

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Steven1991, May 27, 2020.

1. Steven1991

Steven1991 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined the forum.

I laid new turf last week in a brickwork pattern
    I prepared the soil and levelled it all out and brought turf from B&Q and when i laid it, patches were hot and over the week despite regular watering seem to have died. The greenest turf was actually the worse and has come back to life and rooted and knitted well. I have attached a picture. The deadish looking turf, is it worth pulling up and returfing or keep watering and hope for the best? Also would i best returfing the bits that have patches or leave and hope for the best? If so will i need to rake the soil and add more top soil or will the top soil i put down be enough? The worst part is that the greenest and well rooted turfs.. i brought reduced and looked dead but are now the healthiest looking parts?

Attached Files:

2. LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Evening Steven,

My guess would be that the brown areas is unlikely to come back if it looks like that after only 1 week.

You can see that the turf rolls haven't shrunk so have clearly had plenty of water. Such a shame it looks like that after all the hard work you have put in. Unfortunately, and I only say this from experience, B&Q turf is best avoided, as it is left sat around for longer than is preferred and begins to decompose. You can sometimes feel the heat generated if you put your hand on some of the rolls that are piled up outside their stores. Others may have had better success with B&Q though?

Maybe give the turf another week and hope for the best? I'd love to be proven wrong.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,632
    Strange as the dead parts almost follow some kind of pattern.