Turning my water feature into a bog garden

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Dips, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    So this is my current water feature

[​IMG]

Its needs some tlc and sprucing up. Unfortunately the builders killed a lot of the plants in it. I dont want to keep it as just water because i cant keep the water clear all the time and i dont have any interest in keeping that tiny amount of water leaf free

It has a quince tree above it that drops leaves in it

[​IMG]

I do want to keep my water feature so that it still works and therefore i was thinking of filling it with soil.

I currently cant even get to the bottom of the mesh holding the stones up because there are layers layers of them and leaves. So i don't think there will be an issue over the soil staying in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do need some help though deciding what plants to put in. I dont want anything too tall and obviously needs to be able to cope in a small space. I do want something that flowers.

The problem is my garden is south facing and gets full sun so not what you normally would have in a boggy area

Has anyone got any plant suggestions please?

• Like Like x 1
    • philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
      +846
      That is great and will be lovely as a bog garden. Iris ensata like full sun and their feet moist. There are lots of beautiful varieties in a huge range of colours.
      If you are keeping the water part the water hawthorn is a small plant with oval leaves that float on the surface, and needs c a foot of water. It has white, vanilla scented flowers, often even in winter.
      I believe that candelabra primulas like full sun too and have stunning flowers.
      Water forgetmenot is another smaller plant that flowers for a long period and won't overrun the space.
      Have fun - its a wonderful project :spinning: :spinning: :spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        thank you @philomel

the bog garden will literally just be the water part lol i plan to just fill that with soil. The rest of the slate round the outside will be filled with alpines as they flourish there and need minimal care

so it maybe the smallest bog garden ever lol

• Like Like x 1
        • philomel

Ratings:
          +846
          Ah ok, I wasn't sure.....lol. In that case the iris ensata might make a nice contrast in form to most alpines? With forgetmenots between them?
          Or candelabra primulas instead of iris? :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,631
            i was considering an iris

funnily enough my parents will be adding candelabra primroses to their river bank in wales so I may just be able to nick a few of theirs when they buy some lol

i do love forgetmenots so i do fancy some water ones. do they spread like normal forgetmenots tho? but i spose that wouldn't matter as most of my garden is sandy soil they is extremely well drained

• Like Like x 1
            • philomel

Ratings:
              +846
              The forgetmenots do seed around but not uncontrollably...
              Sounds as if great minds think alike ;)