1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Two big projects and a lot of questions

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Frazzled, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Frazzled

Frazzled Gardener

Garden Coordinator
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi all,

I could use some advice. A lot of advice, really, mainly in planning and setting up low maintenance, low-cost, high-yield vegetable gardens. I’ve done some horticulture courses decades ago and have done some allotment stuff, but I’m really just figuring it out as I go along.

I’m running two big garden projects: one formerly abandoned garden, with two polytunnels and many raised beds, that I’ve only just got up and running this summer. But my biggest challenge is a huge abandoned garden plot that’s frankly a mess. This new project has three big polytunnels in various states of disrepair, a mystery orchard of various apples, pears and plums and some raised beds now completely choked with weeds (including the dreaded ground elder). A patron has offered funding to get this going but they’re asking me ‘how much might you need?’ and I’m struggling to devise cost-effective, realistic plans as there are so many directions to go. I’m looking to bounce some ideas around with knowledgeable folks.

The plan is for these two garden projects to grow bulk food to donate to local food banks. The food banks tell me their patrons are mostly interested in potatoes, onions, carrots and the basics so I’ll be focusing on them.

I’m intrigued by innovative methods such as no-dig and square-foot garden. I’m also interested in designing a low-cost automated drip watering system (or several of them).

Probably best if I start threads on the various topics in the appropriate forum areas. Lots to talk about! I hope I can contribute and thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

• Like Like x 6
    • Lem

Lem Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,545
      :sign0016: To the forum Frazzled, there’s a wealth of knowledge on here, and lots of great advice, I’m sure someone will be able to help and answer your questions :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,600
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner Frazzled. A challenging time ahead for you with both gardens. Fruit and vegetables aren't my domain but there are certainly friends here that will help you out along the way. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,508
          I'd wait and see what you've got in the orchard before any pruning is carried out , pruning a plum in winter can be fatal , all of the prunus family are susceptible to silver leaf but plums seem far more prone in getting it .

I'd weed kill the ground elder unless you've got plenty of free time and nothing else better to do. You'll have to do it quick if you want to try and get it this year .

I do no dig it seems to work for me , I am not a big veg grower myself though .

• Like Like x 3
          • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
            Ratings:
            +1,136
            Phew, that's a handful...

A few tips I can offer after repurposing our own garden from Rhododendron to veggie:

1. If it grows higher and faster than your average weed, you don't have to worry about the weeds.

2. For that reason I'd rather get some grape vines, plant runner beans, pumpkins and rhubarb. The don't need a lot of care and just grow over the competition if you give them a climbing aid like some sticks , a cheap wire fence or some strings attached to a pole.

3. Berry bushes (currants, blueberries, Aronia) are easy to care for, easily replaced and you can mow over everything in between. They won't feed you though like the ones before do.

4. Bulbs are a no-brainer (please don't kill me other forum-folk). You set them and forget them. Doesn't matter if it's onions, garlic or tulips.

5. Strawberries and thyme make for a great weed suppressant. The grow fast and cover a lot of ground

• Like Like x 3
            • Frazzled

Frazzled Gardener

Garden Coordinator
              Ratings:
              +44
              Wow, awesome advice straight off. Thanks so much. I'll start threads in the appropriate places to kick things off.

• Like Like x 1