1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Two buddleia's not doing well, one flourishing, what am I doing wrong please?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Barders, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Lovelies,

Last year I bought two buddleia from a national garden centre and planted them in the shady, damper border (south-west facing garden) and one from a local garden centre and planted it on the opposite side, which is in the sun most of the day and the soil is like dust (trying to learn how to work on that!).

I have noticed that the two in the shade, not much sun, dampish soil seemed to be being eaten or damaged by something and not doing very well. BUT the one on the sunny side is growing like crazy?

I have added some photos. I can't see any bugs on the curled up leaves so don't know if it is an insect doing the damage or where they are planted?

Any advice would be most gratefully received, thank you IMG_1945.jpeg IMG_1946.jpeg IMG_1947.jpeg IMG_1948.jpeg

2. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Not sure what's causing the damage but buddleias are sun-lovers @Barders, they won't do well in shade. :) Transplant them to a sunny spot!

Nick

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,331
      As a general rule Buddleja prefer sunny, well drained positions. Not sure whats eating it, but if not growing well is more likely to be damaged. In damp shady conditions slugs and snails would be the most likely candidates particularly the little snails.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
        +153
        Brilliant @NigelJ @Nikolaos I'll get them moved over to the otherwise tomorrow ready for some lush sun over Easter. Many thanks to you both :dbgrtmb:

:hotsun:

• Friendly Friendly x 1