1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Two of my websites

Discussion in 'Members Blogs/Websites' started by Larkshall, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I started constructing websites around 8 years ago. I have been running a computer group for 20 years next month. My first computer (not counting a mainframe) was a Sinclair QL, I have always used the watchword "KISS" (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I've spent many years in communications, several as a Civil Defence Radio Instructor and later, 12 years working for BT in exchange traffic planning.

In 2001 I took over as secretary of our local District Association of the Cyclists' Touring Club, and founded their website (which I still run and update at least monthly). My own website dates from around 2000.

http://www.erowell.co.uk

http://www.ctc-cambridge.org.uk

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Very good.

In particular easy to navigate.

3. Chas_Bracken Edge

Chas_Bracken Edge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great photographs.

I also had a QL - a great little machine spoiled by the poor quality of the "micro drives."

The first one I worked on was an ICL 1300 series in Hull. Less memory than a washing machine! But a challenge to program in MAC (Manchester Auto Code).

Chas.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Nice web-site Larkshall, I see you used Kompozer, I have for one of mine, nice and easy to use I think.

Going back in time I used a mechanical hand-held punch card machine, so out in the field I could create cards ready to feed an ICL 1904 mainframe. I was collecting data on grass seed yields. It was the first computer I worked on, and could only ever see it through the glass window in the massive air-conditioned machine room. If any of the punched cards was wrong (out of order, mispunched,etc) I only got to find out a few days later, then correct the mistake and submit the card batch again for the next run in a couple of days time. Nothing happened very quick! Computer time was precious and my dept only had an allocation of a few seconds every week.