1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Uncinia rubra

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bayleaf, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Has anyone had any success with growing Uncinia rubra? I have very free draining soil and have tried all the usual enriching/moisture retaining. Does it require a certain pH? It does ok in it's 1st season, then just sort of fizzles out. Any tips would be appreciated, before I go out this weekend and get another one!
    Cheers Bayleaf

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    no Bayleaf but grown or am growing Corynephorus , grey grass , it needs very sandy compost will send you a pic later, ohhh I never use HP sauce on mine lol sorry or was it PH lol. A friend may do, will ask her later and let you know.

3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ladybird [​IMG] Uncinia is HP coloured though!! Look forward to the pic, not seen that before. Have you tried Astelia? Lovely shimmery,silver colour,broad strappy leaves. + Helictotrichon, more "grass like" & dead easy. Have a good Easter
    Bayleaf

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Nathan, will try to get messages in the right place! am new to this lark!
    Bayleaf [​IMG]

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    No problem.

More people are likely to help you in this category.

Nathan.

6. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grow Uncinia Rubra very successfully, I have it in a mixed border where the soil is moist but free draining, it is in full sun, I also grow it in partial shade. I have acid to neutral soil conditions. If you are having problems with it shove it in a pot and leave it to the worst of the weather, I have grown it from seed and leave the plug plants outside, in frost, snow, rain, hail - whatever. Good luck, it is a fabby grass

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Wine & Choc [​IMG]
    Will have another go, & be a bit meaner to it :mad: ,it really is fab. Love dark plants.