1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Underplanting a hedge for year round interest

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I have been spreading this project around several forums so I thought I would start over.

20180325_092715.jpg

This is as you can see, the verge at the front of my house. I have always had a problem with weeds growing up through my hedge. Last year I cleaned up all the weeds front and back and cut this channel. I haven't measured it recently but it is approx 18" deep and 10' long. At the moment are a couple of clusters of snowdrops in there and a few tulips that are just starting to push there way through. These are just makeshift to fill the space. They can be removed if need be when the time comes. If this project is successful I intend to replicate it on the other sections of hedge.

I will now outline my thoughts and ideas. These are by no means carved in stone so I would welcome discussion on them.

After careful consideration my choice for ground cover was lamium beacon silver. It spreads well but not uncontrollably. It is evergreen. It has a lovely texture and colour. It would be a haven for wildlife. I currently have 1 lamium plant which I bought cheap in the sale. I know where I can get more locally. On the photo you will see where I have measured out the spacings and marked with white plant labels.

My next thoughts are of bulbs for seasonal interest. These i would plant in the spaces between the ground cover plants.

Snowdrops, anemone blanda (blue or white), daffodils (used sparingly), winter aconites maybe for early interest.

Snakes head frilittary for later spring interest.

I thought about the possibility of replacing a couple of the ground cover plants with Agapanthus for summer interest. That's just a thought for a later date if it's feasible.

Something like crocus speciosus for Autumn interest.

These are my thoughts and ideas. As I said they are just thoughts at this stage. I would appreciate any advice on what's possible or practical. I have a blank canvas to work with.

:smile:

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    You have given this a lot of thought.
    I think agapanthus will be too big there; less is more in this case and I think the lamium en bloc would be enough.
    I would make a straight edge between grass and border....a half moon is ideal but a spade will do....and create a dip between them making the soil a fraction higher with the spoil. Clean edges all round will look good. Over seeding the grass too and a liquid feed so you can display a nice mini stretch of grass :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      @Verdun . Thanks for your comments. Giving things a lot of thought is what I do. Most of my awake time is taken up with thinking about stuff. I actually enjoy the planning more than the doing.

Presumably it's going to take a few years for the lamiums to beef out enough to join up. That would then leave enough room to add a bit of seasonal colour. I could take the bulbs out at a later date if I needed to.

G.

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,576
      hardy geraniums, dense, and the leaves are pretty after they flower.

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Me too Gary. Planning, thinking, re thinking to make sure things are as good as they can be, at least theoretically.:) Another new border here that has been carefully planned....the planting is the quick bit
        No, lamiums spread quite fast.
        Have you considered lilies? Nice foliage and great colour. I would plant just one or two colours