Underplanting Prunus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Sep 22, 2013.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Need advice please gardening-type friends :help:

I am planting out a Cherry tree in the front garden, in a raised circle (old pic below) and I want to underplant it to fill up the bare space. Am I best sticking to annuals? I'm thinking some Stocks, Linum Charmer, Poppies, Dahlias, etc and I plan to put some alpines such as Sedum/Saxifrage/Lewisia in the gaps in the rockery.

Does that sound okay or is there something else preferable?

[​IMG]

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,971
    Hi Merleworld, You'd be best planting perennials that don't involve any disturbance round the roots of the prunus. They're notorious for suckering if the roots get damaged, which would be inevitable if you're planting every Spring! The alpines like aubretia, saxifrage, helianthemums, sedum would make good ground cover and just need trimming over after flowering.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Barefootgardens

Barefootgardens Gardener

Ratings:
      +19
      I have forget-me-nots and Lady's Mantle (alchemilla mollis) under mine, no hassle, minimal weeding and so pretty!

• Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,180