1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Uneven Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by upsetter, Jun 8, 2005.

1. upsetter

upsetter Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken the keys to a new house and the rear garden slopes away to a 8ft high fence. The last 6ft of the garden dips around 3ft to the base of the fence and I was wondering what is the best way to fill it in and level the entire area. A friend has suggested that I put 3ft high resin boards at the fences and infill with (around 20 tons) subsoil this would leave the fence height at around 5ft, question is will this place too much of a burden on the fence or is there a better way to go about this.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Upsetter Sounds good to me but not sure about resin board, will the fence take it and will it rot evenually and your garden extended later ? lol...
    what is the access to take a 20 ton load ? and if you get it, make sure it's all top soil....don't let it unload unless you are happy. Best if you can see where it comes from...I went for 3 bags paid for them and took one with me home, the rest was delivered with other stuff later.Mind you I held the bag for the man and asked me wich one I would like, lol... your guess.. never knew there were 2 types of topsoil.lol the 2 bags delivered had more clay and bricks in it then topsoil..
    ------------
    Ladybird

3. upsetter

Ratings:
    +0
    The guy I am getting the soil from will tip it over the fence, but he has said he will use his mini excavator to move the subsoil from nearer the house first and then put the topsoil on top. He is good, myself and family have dealt with him before as he supplies turf.

I was wondering if I should attach the boards directly to the fence or have a couple of inches gap with separate posts holding the boards up so they are not directly onto the fence then infill that gap with something else (but I cannot think what ?) and polythene or textile on the fence to prevent rot

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's ok then,still look when it arrives, if any brick... but them at the bottom lol...not sure, but an extra fence may be better...are they concrete post ? and is it your fence or shared ? and may be 2 rows of base panels concrete at least that will be save then, post go at least 2-3 ft in ground .....no need to infill the gap, or you finishing up with rot again eventually, let air get to it,can you get old telphone post ? I got some 3 yrs ago they are 4 ft in ground and my fence is 8 ft....only to neighbours field....windbreak and privacy.It was an unused plot of concrete 60 ft x 30 so I made a border all along 2 ft deep and 2 wide, amazing what one can grow on concrete lol. All east facing,4 Clematis, lots of Conifers, Hops, Forsythia,large leaved Ivy, many other climbers and Shrubs....that's my new garden lol rest is all on walls and in containers, apart a border round my home about 60 ft. south and west facing.
    -------------
    Ladybird

5. upsetter

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a load of used railway sleepers and have set them into the ground, waiting until Friday to see how level the garden will become.

Thanks for your help.