1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Unhappy Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma (Mini Monstera)

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Jamiee, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Jamiee

Jamiee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I've had this plant for a month or so and it's clearly unhappy, the leaves have been quickly turning yellow and brown before falling off. The nursery we got it from said it sounded like it was over-watered but we have been watering it pretty carefully (around once per week). Other people we've asked have also suggested overwatering as the likely cause.

I've checked the roots and they seem fine, the soil is not soggy – if anything it's fairly dry throughout.

Much of the advice we been given seems specifically focused on Monstera and Philodendron and I'm wondering if perhaps this plant has slightly different needs? I haven't noticed any reduction in leaf loss after watering or inbetween watering. Also it is still growing new leaves. I can't help but wonder if it's actually under-watered but am nervous to water more given the advice I've recieved.

Anyone have any experience?

IMG_0436.jpeg IMG_0020.JPG

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Hi, hope you are still there I think you post has been missed.

Have you removed it from the pot in picture 1 ?
    If so it looks to have good white roots.

My thoughts are that it is finding it difficult to acclimatise to the different conditions, probably dryer air than it is used to, maybe less light as well.
    I think that is one of the drawbacks in buying a large established plant, it would have been grown in 100% perfect conditions and now its trying to adapt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jamiee

Jamiee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi, thanks for your response. Yes I think you're probably spot on and I also think despite advice that it was under-watered.

Since this post, I've repotted it into a slightly bigger terracotta pot as it was looking pretty root-bound, and then watered it more often. The yellowing has slowed down quite a bit I think.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      That was going to be my next suggestion.
      :dbgrtmb:

A repot.:smile: