Unidentified Tree....

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by madmax, May 8, 2011.

1. madmax

madmax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought this out of a box in Wilkinsons about 3 years ago, it was the last one for 50p and it didn't have a tag on it to identify it, however, there was a loose tag in the bottom of the box for a pear tree. I think all of the plants in there were fruit trees of different varieties. Anyway i bought, took it home and planted it, it's growing but i think after 3+ years it might now be nice to actually know what it is :heehee:

08052011.jpg

08052011_002.jpg

08052011_001.jpg

It produces white blossom in Spring which has now all fallen off, last year for the first time there were green fruits on the tree as pictured but they just died off and never grew into anything.

Its not life or death but i would be interested to know if anyone has any ideas of what it may be as i have little knowledge of gardening?

Thanks

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    It is Prunus of some sort.
    Those are cherries.
    Sorry I cannot tell if they are an edible cherry or a sour one.

3. madmax

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

The fruits just died off last year is it likely to do this again. I don't fully understand the pollenating thing but sometimes you need a male/female tree for the trees to fruit?

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi Deffo a cherry

Hopfully the fruit will stay on this year then you can find out if its sweet it looks like Stella to me from the leaves and the young fruit, any one else agree , but keep well watered other wise all the fruit wont develop
    With cherry they can be self fertile and your do have fruit on
    Spruce

5. madmax

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input, i didn't really bother watering it last year as it was growing of its own accord. Will make sure is well watered and see what if anything it produces.

Any ideas how big these grow if it is what you think it is and if i should cut it back at any stage? I did cut it back last year as it was growing outwards rather than upwards. It seems to have grown upwards as a result of this perhaps since?

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Definitely a Cherry, probably either Stella or Morello.:dbgrtmb:

7. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi about 30 feet high , I grew it at my old house I got from Woolworths I think £3.99 the old guy next door would tell me everyyear the birds have eaten most of them !!!! little did he know I netted all the lower branches , as if I could net a 30 foot tree !!

With Cherry you prune in the summer not the winter gives the tree time to heal were you have cut, its important you do this at the right time of the year otherwise you can get infections into the tree

Spruce