1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Unknown plants in my garden

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by N.N, Apr 14, 2018.

1. N.N

N.N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hello Everybody,

I have moved to a new place that has a garden and there is already a designated place where the previous tenants were planting things. Since I moved in there has been rocket and possibly radish that has emerged in that space but during the warm spell we had recently and the current one some new arrivals popped up and grew really fast.

I have attached some pictures to get your opinion. This is one of the three plants. A friend said that it looks like a edible plant called Fat Hen. This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. The second one is of the stem of the plant

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not Fat hen, looks more like Rapeseed :)

• Like Like x 1
    • N.N

N.N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      And these are the other two plants: First is the one that looks like its a root vegetable. I have a feeling that it might be radish. and the second one looks a bit like mint or even a type of basil but doesnt really have any smell.

Definitely on my infancy of planting so can't really tell anything with much certainty

Attached Files:

• N.N

N.N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Interesting. I'm wondering why the previous tenant would sow something like that in such a small plot.

Thanks for the answer. This picture was taken as I said a week and a bit ago so I will try to take some more today when I go out cause the plant has grown a lot since

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It seeds everywhere :sad:

Looks like a radish, yes. Not sure about the second, possibly persicaria?

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997

Be careful handling the plants around it as they look like Euphorbia and the sap can cause wet blistering of the skin, doesn't affect everbody, but it makes a mess of the skin on my arms if I pick up a load of weeds with Euphorbia amongst them.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • N.N

N.N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +10
          Are you talking about the small plants that are around the possible Radish plant? I can try and take another picture and make sure we have a good view of them.

I looked a bit more carefully and I realised that those plants that were growing really fast amongst the garden were some of the rocket started to flower. The upper leaves don't look the same as the standard rocket leaves and I did not realise that some of it was flowering.

Does anybody know when is the correct time to collect seed from the rocket plants. After it gives seed do they die afterwards?

Questions of a novice..