unknown roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Celia, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can any one identify these two roses? The orange one was growing in an urn and was about 4'tall with 3 leaves. My Mother in Law pruned it down and it grew more leaves then produced this luminous red/orange flower
    [​IMG]
    The other two pictures are from the same rose though the flowers look different. As far as I know neither of the roses smell (I can't smell many flowers so I don't really know for certain)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas?

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    they are beautiful roses, Celia. I've been looking all over the place for that vivid orange, with no luck - there's nothing that vivid anywhere I can see. In the end I googled "orange rose" and came up with this list - maybe you can spot it from there? http://images.google.com/images?q=orange+rose&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

As for the pink one - there are so many pink roses..... I can't tell which, I'm sorry, but if you contact the RNRS they may be able to help.

http://www.rnrs.org/

3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help, I've narrowed the first rose down to Ruby Wedding, Remember me and Bright Fire. As you say the pink one will be more difficult. I thought it odd that it had two different types of flower, do you think one is a sport?

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Could well be - I had that happen in one flower, but the different flowers were totally different, and had no scent, whereas the originals had a lovely strong scent...

I was advised to try to take cuttings of the possible sport - why don't you try that? And have your very own rose, and name it as you wish!! :D