1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual growth on D/A Lady Emma Hamilton shrub rose.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Joolz, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Does anyone have an idea as to what this may be on my rose? She looks very healthy, is fed and watered and well loved. It's only on one section of the shrub. The bit underneath the buds is soft but it feels as if it's tight on the plant and is making the leaves pucker where it's also growing onto.
    I've never seen anything like this before on my roses, my other shrubs are unaffected.

@wiseowl HELP!! lol
    IMG_0727.jpg IMG_0730.jpg IMG_0731.jpg IMG_0732.jpg

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like an insect gall :spinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,883
      Good morning @Joolz my friend yes its a Gaul of some type. 1.Rose Crown Gall.
      2 A Bedeguar Gall (also known as Robin's Pincushion) I have only seen this on a Dog Rose;) and only once before,I need to go and do some research on this so that I can give you the correct advice my friend,bear with me and feel free to google it so you have some idea what we are dealing with:smile::blue thumb:

How Galls Get Started:
      Bacterial galls are tumors caused by a critter called Agrobacterium.

• Crown galls, those tumors which attack the root crown of the plant near the soil's surface, are produced by A. tumefaciens.
      • Cane and stem galls are produced by A. rubi.
      These bacteria live in the soil and can survive long periods of adverse conditions in soil debris or within the systemic fluids of the plant. When the plant is wounded, the bacteria enter the tissues and form a soft, spongy tumor. The bacteria proliferate on the outer surfaces of the tumor. As the gall hardens, some of these outer tissues are sloughed to the ground carrying with them more bacteria which then re-infect previously non-infected, wounded areas of the plant.

Susceptible Soil Conditions
      If you have acidic soil, consider yourself lucky. A. tumefaciens does not do well in acidic soil. The bacteria is most prevalent in late spring when soils are moist.

How Plants Get Wounded
      The wounds can be caused by pruning, digging, freeze injury, improper fertilization or irrigation causing cracked stems, and even pest insect damage.

330px-Diplolepis-rosae.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
        +884
        Thank you @Zigs & @wiseowl

I will await for your knowledge Wiseowl, on how best to deal with this issue. :ThankYou:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          My favourites are Witches Broom and Robin's Pincushion, although i'm quite fond of Oak Apples too :spinning:

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,883
          Hi @Joolz I will put my head on the block and say that it is in my opinion it is Robin's Pincushion and caused by the Gall Wasp it causes no detectable harm and can be retained as a curiosity or cut off and burn:smile:

They look like a tangle of red and yellowy green filaments making a brightly coloured pom-pom on the rose stem.

Like many galls, they are caused by a little wasp and although the galls are very conspicuous, the wasps are very inconspicuous. The female wasps can reproduce without males and, maybe consequentially, males are quite rare.

Inside the pincushion gall there will be several wasp grubs that will pass the winter within feeding on plant tissue. The larvae somehow control the plant tissue around them causing it to form big, juicy cells which are continuously replenished. In the spring new wasps will emerge: mostly they will be females and without the need for males, they will be able to go and lay eggs in rose bushes to start the cycle again.

One of the alternative names for the gall, bedeguar, is said to originate from the Persian language and means brought by the wind.

The galls are unlikely to be a problem in gardens except on wild-type roses. They can be valued for their own attractiveness and interest and generally they will not cause harm to their host plant. However, if you really don’t like them, just snip them off.

[​IMG]
          A robin’s pincushion or bedeguar gall rose

Lady Emma Hamilton
          Orange or orange-red Shrub.
          Registration name:AUSbrothe
          Exhibition name:
          Lady Emma Hamilton
          Bred byDavid C H Austin(United Kingdom, 2005).
          Introduced in United States by David Austin Roses limited (USA) in 2007 as 'Lady Emma Hamilton'.
          Shrub. English Rose Collection.
          Orange blend. Strong, fruity, geranium, tea fragrance. Average diameter 3.5". Medium, very full (41+ petals), cluster-flowered, cupped, globular, old-fashioned bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
          Medium, bushy.
          Height of up to 4' (up to 120 cm). Width of up to 3' (up to 90 cm).

• Informative Informative x 1
            Last edited: Jul 25, 2016