1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Unwanted saplings in privet hedge.

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by mazambo, Jul 10, 2022.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi everyone, is there something i can put on the leaves of saplings that are growing inside the hedge to kill them without killing the hedge? At a push i can just about get my loppers in to cut them at ground level but they just grow back, we have 4 sycamore trees on the green outside the house but i think the one in the photo is an ash but could be wrong.

20220704_154513.jpg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    @mazambo
    Looks like an ash to me. Sometimes they will come out with a pull. Glyphosate is available in a gel format with an applicator and you just apply to the leaves and then sit back and wait.

3. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Thanks @NigelJ i just can't get it enough to have a go at pulling them out, the Glyphosate gel looks like the way to go.

4. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    My wife nurtures the saplings that grow in our hedge. We have Honeysuckle, Hawthorn, Sycamore and Birch. 70 years of birds nesting and sh***ng in it.

• Funny Funny x 1