1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading pc

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by watergarden, Mar 25, 2012.

1. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Just finished upgrading other half's pc. It had and AMD duron 1.19 ghz processor and 1mb of ram, it now has a new motherboard and a AMD athlon 3.01ghz processor and 1.75 mb of ram. So yes its faster, but my "thing" is why is it that they tell you everything is in the box, and you find out, you need a usb mouse, the on board sound wont work, (cd reader says driver error) you go to sound website, they say go to motherboards website, googled for them found driver, says not installed, gave up, took old sound card from other pc, all working.

Now I have a large box the new case came in, another box the motherboard came in,that also came in a box, an old pc case and power supply, and motherboard to get rid of, so much waste.

Anyone need a motherboard?

have you had "fun" upgrading a pc? what happened?

(Oh, I forgot to mention, I had to reinstall windows, as it didn't like the upgrade)

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I can't really answer you other questions water garden but the bit about reinstalling windows because it didn't like the upgrade doesn't really surprise me it's rare that you can change something as substantial as the motherboard or the CPU without needing to completely reinstall Windows.

also your motherboard should have come with a drivers CD no? if not then the first place to look will be the manufactures website which should provide the sound driver, who was the manufacturer?

also what version of windows did you install? I recently had to revert back to XP due to needing something which only runs on Windows and that being the only disc I had lying around and it took me hours to track down all the drivers and the wifi was a nightmare:gaah:

you have to love Linux sometimes it just works:SUNsmile:

3. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    It was xp (home edition) but it didn't re install it from scratch, although that's what it looked like it was doing. I say this because everything else was still there, it (xp) even registered itself, even though prior to this it said "this copy of windows has already been registered to this pc"
    Yes the mobo came with a driver cd, but the sound drivers were corrupt / in error, that's why I gave up with them. (Graphics, and LAN drivers on same cd worked fine)

4. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    Oh, and then she said, I like your monitor better..................
    So I went out and brought her a widescreen monitor in black. (and and a keyboard and mouse set)
    So not only is it faster and better than mine, it looks better too.

5. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337