1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice needed - I think I just murdered my tulips

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Firamsden, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Firamsden

Firamsden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I live in SE England. We moved in to a new house in November. Previous owner had left some bulbs in a pot. To my delight they grew in to 3 amazing huge bright yellow tulips (either apeldoor or conqueror I think). Anyway today (25april) I made the fatal error of trying to move them to flower bed but managed to shear the bulbs clean off as there was a solid clump of dirt right at the base of the stems which had weakened them I think. I've googled everywhere but can't find advice on what to do....do I plant the bulbs (which haven't had a chance to take nutrients back from the foliage) or do I take them out and dry the over the summer. (Or do I bin them and buy new?) At least the flowers are still beautiful, albeit in a vase awaiting their demise :(
    Sent from my iPhone

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Plant them now - they'll be fine.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    You've got your flowers so that's the main thing, you've probably weakened the plants by removing all the leaves, but as longk says just plant them and hopefully they will recover for next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Firamsden

Firamsden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks longk and John...I will give it a go...think I should try to feed the bulb extra nutrients in the soil? Can they absorb nutrients at this stage?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      I think a weak feed might help, don't over do it until new leaves appear.