1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

US OPEN TENNIS FINAL

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Nineteen year-old, Bianca Andreescu beat Serena Williams 6-3, 7-5 (a bit of a wobble at the end as she was 5-1 up in the second set.) But I think that was just nerves. The TV coverage wasn't on any of the major networks. It was on a streaming site.

I'm pleased for her, as Williams baled out of the Canadian Open (considered "the fifth Grand Slam and a "big prize money" event), I watched on TV a couple of months ago when she was 4-1 down to Andreescu with a "bad back." But moments before she'd been scampering around the court shouting and balling as she does when things aren't going her way. Bianca is a big girl and won't take any nonsense from anyone, she's as hard a hitter as Serena and can play accurate drop shots sometimes when even standing on the baseline.

Williams has now lost in successive US finals, last time it was to Naomi Osaka, you know, when she had another tantrum and called the umpire "a thief and a liar."

Bianca came on court for the final in her tennis gear. Sleeveless top as it was a really hot day.

f_USTA1189193_20190907_USO_D13_GE2_1466.jpg

Serena came on in her Nike mac, maybe she thought she wasn't stopping long and she'd have a quick win, like she did over some of the smaller women in the previous rounds.
    But maybe I'm being unfair, probably she'll wear anything Nike says she should wear, they pay her so much money. But it doesn't stop her looking ridiculous.

f_USTA1189194_20190907_USO_D13_GE2_1470.jpg

Here are the highlights.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/...l?promo=top_stories_get_ready_for_the_us_open

Margaret Court's "Grand Slam" record is safe. Mind you, she'd achieved that in fewer years than Williams has been playing them and she quietly quit as she was expecting another baby.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    In her press conference she said "Serena didn't turn up," well, she hasn't "turned up," for the last four finals in which she played. Her coach said, "She, unlike her opponents is under a lot of pressure and that she's still recovering from having a baby." That made me laugh. How much pressure was Andreescu under with 90% of the spectators (and Meghan) cheering for Serena?

The "baby" was two in September. Kim Clijsters had a baby in 2008 and won the US Open in 2009. True, she was only 26 at the time, Serena is 38. It's not realistic to expect to win another Grand Slam. She's been a great champion, her time is over. Andreescu is the first "big hitter" she's had to face. But I expect she'll still continue to turn up for the "big money" tournaments.