1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Useful "Hints & Tips"....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] I was sent this list of very useful & interesting"Tips & Hints" by another gardening friend. It was on her village web site.. [​IMG]

I expect you know some of them, but some you may not.. ;) I have no idea whether some of them really work.... [​IMG]

Top tips for solving problem areas in the garden

Every gardener has to deal with a range of pests and irritants, from ants and molehills to neighbourhood pets.

Help is now at hand with these ingenious tips for a problem free garden.

How to stop pests

Aphids
    Attract hoverflies, they lay their eggs amongst aphid colonies, as well as eating some themselves. Hoverflies are attracted to yellow/orange flowers, such as sunflowers.

Ants
    Tempt them with a sprinkling of sugar. When they start taking the sugar back to the nest mix one part sugar with one part Borax crystals. The queen ant will be fed this fatal ingredient.

Cats
    Stop cats using your flower beds as a toilet - spray tea bags (either new or used) with Ralgex (Deep Heat). Bury the teabags just below the surface of the soil - when the cat disturbs them they will give off the scent of the spray - which cats can not stand. In time the tea bags will break down and nourish the soil.

Dogs
    Dog pee kills grass - twice a day put one tablespoon of tomato juice in with your dogs food. The harmful acid in the pee is neutralised, which means that the grass is not killed. (This does not harm the dog!)

If you are trying to re-seed an area of grass, put the seeds in the freezer over night - the extreme temperature change sparks the seeds into action.

Moles
    Mix ferret or badger dung with a little water, to form a paste. Paint this in the mole runs and they'll soon move on. (Ferrets and badgers are natural predators.)

Slugs & snails
    Tempt them away from plants with the skins of oranges and grapefruits.

Spray WD-40 on pots - they don't like crawling through it!

Put mineral felt roofing material around plants, slugs and snails do not like crawling over it to get to the plant.

Place horse hair around plants - would you like to crawl through this !

Hostas often get eaten when they first start to grow in spring. Slugs and snails lay their eggs around such lush plants in the autumn - knowing that their offspring will have a good meal ready once hatched. As soon as hosta begin to grow remove the top soil from around it - it will be full of eggs. Replace with fresh soil.

Useful hints

Birds nests
    Put Shredded Wheat out for the birds - they use it to build their nests.

Houseplants
    Use beer to clean the leaves of house plants.

To help house plants look more healthy mix one teaspoon of Epsom Salts into a pint of their water. Soluble aspirin in the water promotes new growth.

Cut flowers
    If tulips or roses droop (due to bubbles inside the stem) prick the stem with a pin, just below the flower. They will straighten up within a few hours.

Put cut flowers into flat lemonade rather than water, they will last much longer.

Climbing plants
    Rather than tying plants in, stick them to the wall/fence with a spot of clear Silicon Sealant.
    Climbing roses

To get more/better blooms bend and tie-in the stems of new growth, this reduces the flow of sap and encourages the plant to put more energy into flower production.

Feeding roses
    Use banana skins as mulch around roses - they feed on the potassium released.

Tomatoes
    To feed tomatoes put a handful of hoover bag fluff, damped down, around the plants.

[​IMG] Not sure about you all, but there are a couple in there that I have heard in the past & forgotten all about...!!!! :rolleyes: :D

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Marley Farley some good tips there.
    I've tried the tea bag thing never worked for me although I'ave never tried it with some Red Heat on them.
    I don't think the cats will be too pleased with hot paws and a warm bum....maybe it will be worth a try! :eek:
    Helen.xxx

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well MF. I have just fed my anthurium with aspirin. :rolleyes: I had it given 2 years ago and for one year I had no problem. Flowers and leaves in abundance. For the last year I have had 6 leaves and no flowers - zilch, nothing, nowt (as we say in Yorkshire).

So, just as I was going to recycle it, I have decided to try this.

At least it won't get a stroke. I will keep you informed. :D

4. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found that really interesting and I'm all for using natural remedies.

I used marigolds beside my tomatoes this year for the aphids and I thought the teabag idea for the cats was great until I then pictured my cats with "burning rings of fire" - thanks, helofadigger!

Might try the aspirin tip, I sprinkled some wood ash from the stove on them a few months ago (potash?) and saw some improvement but the houseplants could still do with a boost.

TO

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Yes I thought some of them interesting. I do the Epsom salts one regularly.. Makes a big difference, lovely & lush & green... Haven't tried the aspirin one though.... Will have to try it I think... :rolleyes: The deep heat sprayed on the tea bags one makes me smile as well..... ;) :D Let me know if you find any of the others work.... [​IMG]

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,470
    They all sound interesting. We've used the aspirin one many times. I remember florists doing it 40 years ago :eek: [​IMG]

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi shiney,
    I put an aspirin in water for cut flowers that droop, i.e. Tulips...! Helps them stand up straight... Have done that for years.. ;) Haven't used it on houseplants yet though..... [​IMG]

8. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    now got a nice garden that stinks of deep feat and not seen next doors cat in my garden for two days.. heard it crying at night though wonder if its ass is on fire :D :D

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ste :D :D great balls of fire!
    Helen.xxx.

10. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After a cat dug up some replanted plants this weekend, i'm going to do the teabag deepheat thing. [​IMG] Only thing is can i rub the cream in instead of the spray?

11. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG] rub the cream in or i could send this.. cattttttssss. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Newbie deep heat is quite expensive how about trying roses or berberis cuttings and lay them on top of your borders....I'ave try everything those sonic devices are brilliant and cost about �£13 off the net but as I have found no good for deaf cats! :confused:

Look around your area and you might just get lucky and find that your council has planted loads of berberis near you in one of their patches.... much to our delight we have two huge patches just right over the road from us needless to say they are getting cropped in a more tidier fashion now by Bob and myself!

Ste what a sweetheart your little chocolate box is I find it hard to believe the cat chasing bit...I mean look at those wonderful eyes [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    ;) Well I'm not sure IMP, but I would certainly try the cream... Seems to smell as bad & last as long...!!! :D Or of course your 4legged friend could chase 'em... Trouble is you might find them tearing around your flowerbeds..!!! :eek: Let us know if you try it..!! :D

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey IMP, got your Christmas tree up early haven't you. I know I like to buy cheap but this is ridiculous. :D

15. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    we are that jolly in manchester we keep the tree up all year round.. [​IMG] [​IMG]