1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Autumn moss/feed in Spring ???

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by WeeTam, Apr 13, 2016.

1. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,090
    After a wet wet wet winter I needed to scarify the lawn badly. The electric machine was dragged out and i noticed the tine scarifier was looking done for so set about the task with the metal blade attachment instead.

Boy did it rip out that moss and the grass and even the mud which quickly covered me from my waist to my ankles :doh:

So I now have a fairly bare in places lawn which will need help to recover. The thing is Ive only got autumn treatments right now. Can I just use this instead of the correct spring stuff as it seems ideal as i dont really want top green growth but strong root growth instead.

Some reseeding will be required also and i expect more scarifying and treatments in autumn again.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Autumn feeds can be used in Spring. There is no purpose built Spring feed, in fact it's the NPK level that dictates it's use and the product description just helps the end user to understand when it can be used. It's a good treatment to apply to help the grass recover but it will not create a sudden spurt of growth which is ideal at this time of year.
    It's more towards root development as you say and with the iron this helps to basically harden up the turf as well as deter moss.
    Sounds like you had the blades set too low for the type of machine you have. It's also best not to scarifying if the lawns soil is very wet but wait till its a bit dryer.
    If aiming for moss set the blades to just touch the surface of the grass rather than cutting in. A machine with a basic blade and low power will rip the soil and grass rather than slice which is not good for the turf.

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,090
      Thanks for your info @Liz the pot . I will give it a good dose of the autumn feed then. The roots will be needing the energy to recover and hopefully bully the moss into submission.

That cheapie machine of mine really tore things up.Plenty of power just not so much finess.

My problem is the lawn has been like a sponge to walk on for months now due to the rain, underlying clay soil and possibly broken clay land drains?

I was hoping the slits would enable more air to get down into the root network znd also aid drainage.

Will see how things progress but might just hire a proper scarifier in the autumn.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1