1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

USING our WASTE CONTAINERS?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by J.R.P., Jun 21, 2009.

1. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL. A Message to everyone on this day the 16-6-2009 I know how to grow RICE in water, on water, or VERTICALLY simply done by using plastic containers as a water recycling system which is also transportable. To see what I claim is TRUE please visit my website, may you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. Thank YOU.
    JRP recycling or www.recycling.moonfruit.com John. J.R.P.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    But WHY would anyone want too ?????

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Sorry to say this, JRP, but the site is so badly constructed, it's almost impossible to see what's going on.

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    No disrespect to you JRP and I expect you are doing a good job but if I had all those containers on my allotment plots it would take me forever to water them all because being white and probably absorbing quiet a substantial ammount of heat rays from the sun,I would be spending far more time watering each container and being only 5ft 1" and frightened of heightsI would never be able to reach the highest containers to water them.It must be a bit like painting the Forth Bridge, never ending.....:hehe:

Also,those pallets would be a nightmare in the winter with them being slippery after heavy rain or snow.If they work for you though then thats OK:D

5. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What? i just get a picture of some malnunurished kid.

6. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for showing your interest in using waste containers to serve a purpose.
    Pro Gard it's because some people like growing things who haven't got a garden to use.
    Daisees may be it's to simple for you to use and understand to see the wider picture.
    Kandyfloss I only add some water to my projects once a week and I'm still here to prove it.
    NewbieGreen yes they are the POOR people I'm trying to help feed in a flood or a drought situation.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Don't worry about all the armchair critics John as long as you are prepared to get out there and devote your time and energy into trying to help these desperate people it is most admirable in my opinion,good luck with all your endeavours.:thumb:

8. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree (sorry, but you cant expect help if the website is not helpful)

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,061
    I quite like your website John, I don't think its poorly constructed at all. In fact you have put a lot of effort into it and I can see why you have gone for a more visual approach than the traditional format. Some of your thumbnails are a bit fuzzy, but when you click on them the full size image looks Ok, mabe thats something you can improve.

I can see what you are trying to do, we need more people like you who can think laterally. Have you thought about trying to show how your idea would work in a small garden rather than in an allotment? It might get your point over a bit better. Personally I don't see your idea working well in a traditional veg garden/allotment - it seems a fair bit of effort just to set up and most people would say why not just to grow everything in the soil. But do keep up the good work.

10. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Hi John, I had a look at the website and I take my hat off to you for trying to help others.

Good luck with your work. :gnthb:

11. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ALL thank you for showing more interest in reusing waste containers.
    Walnut thank you very much for showing your support.
    Water garden maybe you have been looking at your (1) bottle garden to much.
    JWK yes I like to think I'm a bit different and my way of doing things are too. I don't think you can get any smaller garden than my transportable carrying system using no tools because I have no weeds to dig out.
    Jazmine thank you very much for making my day start off so well.
    May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thmb:

:thmb: Keep it up John, the world needs people like you..! I agree with Walnut JWK & Jazmine.. Somebody has to help & come up with ideas..

13. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I actually looked at the web site the previous time you posted (some 8 months or so ago).

As a method of growing in this country I can see little benefit unless one likes an eyesore. These bottles only allow for a very small amount of compost therefore high amounts of feed would need to be added, further root growth of the plants is restricted. The bottles will either become waterlogged or simply dry out too quickly.

In Britain plastic milk bottles can be easily recycled were they get melted down and ree processed, IMO the best thing to do with them

As an idea for developing countries it fails in a few ways, firstly pallets and plastic milk bottles simply aren't about in for instance Africa!!! secondly in hot conditions the compost or soil in the bottles would dry out too quickly.

I admire your enthusiasm but this is not a workable idea.

14. J.R.P.

J.R.P. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pro Gard thank you once again for your comments and showing your interest in reusing waste containers and pallets.
    But it does seem to me that you can't be bothered to go down all my menu otherwise you would have seen proof of what I've been doing for many years now with the same containers and the same compost and adding very little water to prove my point. Like I've said Mother Nature is my gardener if you think you know more than her then you are a fool, all I've done is to design a very simple to make system to help her grow things where you are in fall control of what ever water there is. As for reusing pallets it was just one way I thought of to help reduce some of our waste and to prove a point my system can be used in different ways other than growing things in the ground. If you were a true gardener then you would dig what I'm doing not say I'm wasting my time. May you and yours and what you grow live long and happy. John

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I did read down the menu.

The fact that rather than answer my comments you resort to posting insults proves a lot about the credibility of your ideas in the real world. At best they are pie in the sky.

Yes you can do a study on your allotment but this simply doesn't relate to the conditions in third world countries.

If you did a bit of research you would find that the majority of pallets in the UK are either reused or recycled for paper production, biomass burners, chipboard production or general woodchip. Hardly a lot of waste!!!!