Vaccum hiccup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nathan7, Nov 8, 2011.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    My wife seems to think that by me putting the hoover in spare room has made it go bang ?
    What happened I dont know come this morning switched it on and not a sound from the little ooooooooooo
    I dont confess to know a lot about these things and I was wondering does anyone , The model is a electrolux mondo model Z1150
    I was thinking about a / the switch does not seem that solid , but it means I have to take the top off owwwwwwwww and fiddle about alright if you know what you are doing ? thanks

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Time to get a Dyson me thinks....:D

• Like Like x 1
    • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      Pull the carpet up and put some nice floor boards down :D

• Like Like x 2
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,124
        :DOH: Oh dear Nathan, that is a shame.. Maybe as Kandy suggests, it is time to join the "Bagless Brigade"... :WINK1: :heehee:
        Apparently the switches are about the only thing to fail on them... :scratch:

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        best hoover on the market: Miele (10 year guarantee) ... sucks like crazy ... expensive though

best hoover (value for money) ... Numatic Henry (there is larger one available).... you dont need to use bags and you can suck up concrete ... this is the one favoured by most cleaning companies

worst overpriced hoover on the market ... Dyson (go to your recycle centre/tip and you will see them standing in rows)

We have a Henry ....

found a forum about year ago that discussed hoovers in the UK after my Dyson packed up and my wife asked me to replace it

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +865
        I don't know much about electrical gadgets, but I do know that ...

If it won't go, it's possibly the fuse
        If it's not the fuse then it'll be the switch
        You won't be able to spend what should be just 5 minutes with a screwdriver fixing it because it's a 'sealed unit'
        If it's a sealed unit you'll have take it to somewhere (if you can find 'somewhere') to ask a man to fix it.
        Man will suck his teeth, shake his head, tell you he'll have to contact the factory because he doesn't stock parts '.. for machines this old'.
        If the factory have got the part, it'll take a week to come, another week to fit it and, what with delivery, fitting, 'responsible disposal' of the offending part, plus VAT and a few extra quid 'cos he doesn't really want to do it anyway, it'll cost you about £5 less than a new gadget.

Moral - if it's not the fuse, you could probably save yourself a lot of hassle and just get a new 'gadget'.

• Like Like x 3
        • MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn Gardener

Ratings:
          +309
          worst overpriced hoover on the market ... Dyson (go to your recycle centre/tip and you will see them standing in rows

Yep yer right Dim .. we have a Miele and very happy , if you can BE happy owning a Vacuum cleaner .. Micky

• Like Like x 1
          • watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
            +549
            Miele, pah. Get a kirby.

If you buy a henry, NEVER ever use it without a bag, as if you do it will ruin the hepa filter.

• Like Like x 1
            • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              Don't know .... some people have been using Henry's for several years without using bags and it works as good as when it was new?

we don't use a bag and have no probs in the past approx 3 years we have used it

Kirby ..... old fashioned ... bulky and heavy .... was good in it's day... my mom always wanted one (25 years ago) .... (Kirby is like an old Bently car.... a few years later, a Skoda performs better and is more reliable and cheaper to maintain)

• MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn Gardener

Ratings:
              +309
              Dim wrote
              ..Kirby ..... old fashioned ... bulky and heavy .... was good in it's day... my mom always wanted one (25 years ago) .... (Kirby is like an old Bently car.... a few years later, a Skoda performs better and is more reliable and cheaper to maintain)

A friend of mine has a Kirby and they have it have serviced every year by Kirby , ..which costs them a heap of cash ,, its not obligitory but Kirby say if they don't have it serviced then they will not extend the gaurantee for a further year .. the service costs around 100 pounds
              .. they used to have a Dyson but after a few years they took it to the council tip and lined it up with all the others down there :o Micky

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              My vaccum has and still is great,it gets used twice sometimes three times a day and the only one so far i've found that picks up dog hair a treat....
              Regards
              Dyson lover:D:D

• chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,616
              KIRBY was the most expensive that i know of, ( dont know if is now) my EX bought one for me 15 years ago, still going it cleans up everything and anything, i am able to service it myself and it is cheap to buy parts and bags in the local market, my friends seem to have a new hoover every couple of years and when i was cleaning my late grans house and couldnt get the animal hair from the furniture the next time i brought the kirby and my gran thought i had washed the carpet as she could see the pattern for the first time in goodness how long !! only down side is it is BLOOMING heavy carrying up and down the stairs which means that i dont clean them lol that is now my hubby's job :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,317
                First, shouldn't we be saying vacuum cleaner, not Hoover for every make. :heehee:
                My sister-in-law has had her Kirby for nearly forty years and it's still going. My daughter bought one eighteen months ago and thinks it's great.

I am on the verge of ousting my second Dyson, never again! I'll probably be going down the Miele route next time. I have had a Miele washing machine for nine years now and it's still going strong. Before that I was wearing out a washing machine every two and a half years.

You get what you pay for! :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Used a Miele round a clients house a few weeks back.

Wow, that is some mutha of a succubus:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

I want one:cry3:

Its like powering up a 747 and it absolutly will not stop untill its sucked up every last goddam thing in the room
                  [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                  • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,389
                    I also heard just good things about that brand...