1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

vanishing okra any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Ash, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Ash

Ash Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yesturday i had 4 okra plants growing in my conservatory. today i have 3. woke up this morning checked the okra, and all that was left was an empty pot. its almost like it got up and walked off. it was there at 10pm last night went i went to bed. the plant and the root have just well.... vanished... and as i said it was locked in my conservatory over night with no windows open... is that normal for okra to just dissapear?

im lost please help, i dont want it happening again

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Sounds like a case for Sherlock Holmes:
    Suspects in no particular order:
    Mice,
    Yourself in a soporific midnight snacking moment,
    Your cleaner accidentally knocked it over this morning and couldn't bear to tell you,
    Aliens.

Seriously, if the roots have gone as well, I'm assuming there is no compost either - someone is playing tricks on you :gnthb:

3. Ash

Ash Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    nope the compost is there. and there is no way for a mouse to get in :S checked all over for any way they could get in. its just vanished. and we shut and lock outer and inner Double glazed doors. we dont have a cleaner, and no one playing tricks on us. and aliens could be. its just very strange :S

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Maybe a bird hopped in and took the plant - unlikely again. How big was the plant?

5. Ash

Ash Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    unless the bird was a locksmith i doubt it and between 6-8 inches id say the weird part is the compost was untouched. the plant just gone :S as if it never existed thats whats freaking me out all that was left was the sticks and the strings that kept the plant stood up. my mum cant work it out either and had my dad searching for holes today.... i was the last one to bed and first one up this morning too....

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Tis very strange - I'm leaning towards the Aliens theory.

7. Ash

Ash Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    is there anything that can rot it away over night like fungus or something? this is my first try at growing okra

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
  9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Ash, just seen this thread, but I have grown Okra 8 times here now & the last time was a complete disaster..!! :doh: All the years I grew it successfully it was fine & I actually picked a few lbs many years....!!!!!! :yho:

:mad: Last year I went to grow them as normal & had a dreadful shock..!! They grw to about 10 - 12" very well o problem, then..... A few of mine disappeared almost overnight at first & I couldn't work it out, :scratch: then I realised they had cucumber mosaic virus....!!! I grow them in my greenhouse & had never had this before.. After a while I started to see the plants stop growing & starting to yellow slightly & then were gone..!! Just a tiny bit of grey powder left to show they were there.. Okra is a member of the Hibiscus family & sadly when grown indoors in this country they seem very susceptible to it....:scratch::scratch: Are you growing Clemson's Spineless by any chance as they are more susceptible to it over here apparently.......
    I have sterilized my greenhouse twice now but not going to try them as I started a courgette in there as a test to see if I was free from it & it seems not so no more Okra growing for me...!! :( I am gutted as it is a beautiful plant & a nice veg..... :scratch: So whether that will help you understand your problem any better I have no idea, but one to watch for if not..!!! It is transmitted by the sap sucking bugs so look very closely at your plants for yellowing, any tiny bugs or veining on the leaves... Any of these are not good news to Okra... Change the air in your conservatory as much as possible & wipe any sticky residue up from around them on your windowsill with a bleachy clothl..!!! Let us know..! :thumb:

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Blimey Marley, I never heard of this before - it's amazing they disapear without hardly a trace!

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well I am not saying this is the same problem, but that was my experience with Okra after many years of happy growing..!! My larger Hibiscus plants seem to be OK.. Just starting from seed seems to be my problem now..!! :scratch: